Why do you tip people in restaurants ? (*possible poll ?*)

I'd like to try and clear something up, basically in work there is this continuous war between us the kitchen staff, and them, the waiters/waitresses :mad: , we work very hard for what little money we earn and every night when we leave work we have to watch them with stupid smug faces sharing out thier tips at the bar, during the peak season they come home with around £300/350 a week in tips alone :eek: , this we think is unfair and even when custumers ask if the kitchen staff get a share of the tips they say yes and just keep the money for themselves, I see time and time again customers saying "thank you the food was great" and plant a fat tip into thier hands, so are we being unfair in wanting a share of the tips also,

Q. When you have a meal at a restraurant do you give a tip mainly for

A) Because the food was good.

B) Because The service was good.

C) Because both the food and service was good.

D) I don't tip because I'm a tight ****.

Caporegime
I haven't a clue really. Probably C. We even tip the Chinese takeaway guy...

You should get a share of the tips though.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I dont tip because it is money that i dont need to spend. They set their prices at a level they wish to charge. If they want more money then they can get a higher paid job.

I guess i might sometimes tip a waitress is she is really fit thinking about it, and sometimes i will round up if paying cash.

Soldato
I usually tip for either A or B. If service is particularly good, i.e. having a good waiter/waitress I'll leave a tip, but mention to the manager why I'm tipping, so that they get the money. Likewise if the food is spectacular, I'll leave a tip and mention it was because of the food. If both are good, I'll leave a slightly larger tip and just let it get shared out.

I worked in a Kitchen as Kitchen Porter and food prep guy, and we usually shared the tips out between everyone, waiters/waitresses and Kitchen Staff, it was shared equally, so it was all good. Then again, it was a brilliant restaurant with a great owner/manager. I still eat there every time I visit my parents, still friendly with all the staff etc.

Soldato
B - because the service was good.

Case in point, a group of us went to the new Indian up the road last week to see how it was after hearing lots of good things.

Waiting 30 minutes for our booked table was not so much fun.
Waiting 30 minutes for someone to take our order when we sat down was equally annoying
Waiting 90 minutes from order to actually getting some food on the table was taking the mick and only happened because I lost my rag with the waiter who had fed two other tables seated long after us.
They where just milking us on the alcohol bill as the food came out within seconds of us saying that we where leaving without paying.
Food was out of this world, easily the best curry I have ever had.
All of this was in a restraunt that was near enough empty...not impressed.
They got no tip whatsoever and not much chance of repeat custom either. Their loss I suppose, a group of 12 is a pretty decent booking for midweek.

Food could be bad, but that is hardly the fault of the person serving it to you in most cases.

Last edited:
Permabanned
D - I don't tip at all. If the waitress was a tall stunning brunette and served me wearing only stockings and lacy underwear then I'd probably stick a note in the stocking top.

Other than that, I don't tip.

Man of Honour
IMHO you should ONLY tip in this country if the staff go above and beyond the call of duty to enhance your experience.

In this country, you get paid at least the minimum wage. There is no need for top ups simply for doing your job.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
IMHO you should ONLY tip in this country if the staff go above and beyond the call of duty to enhance your experience.

In this country, you get paid at least the minimum wage. There is no need for top ups simply for doing your job.

Exactly what I think. I can't stand people who just tip for the sake of a tip.

Soldato
A & B - a few extra quid makes virtually no difference to me but it's a nice gesture which is always appreciated in my experience. I suppose thinking about it it's mainly for the service but also if it's an excellent meal then I'll be tipping for the food as well, especially if it's very good value so 'worth' more than is charged on the menu (if that makes sense).

Am quite surprised how many people flat-out don't tip tbh!

Man of Honour
C- Only if things went fine. If anything went wrong I don't tip. Like the idiot last night who decided to yell out my pin when I entered it instead of the amount I wanted to pay him=FAIL=NO TIP you *******!!!

I don't usually tip anybody else unless there's no point in carrying too many coins, so barstaff will usually only get around 20p or so.

I never tip taxi drivers because they're so damned expensive, unless it's a long journey, I know he's taken a short cut, he's picked people up or stopped at a cash point.

Back
Top Bottom