Blue LED laser death rays

Caporegime
Skyfall said:
Why is that?

Well global warming is supposed to produce hotter, drier summers and milder, wetter winters. The floods of the last couple of weeks have been caused by a cooler and wetter summer, completely the opposite to what is predicted. :)

Soldato
It is strange considering Blue LEDs are much more expensive than red/green ones. At our school in the electronics labs the green/red LEDs were in a giant tub and the UV/blue ones were locked away.

I've got a Selphy Photo Printer next to my laptop and when I'm trying to sleep and turn all the lights out, the single blue led illuminates the entire room as if there's a huge candle on the desk.

Soldato
I love my laptop because its a Lenovo (IBM) which uses all green LED's which firstly I think look better and secondly are very dull. My Logitech Z5500's are very different however.

On the main control panel there is a very large blue and very bright LED which is blinding. I have to sit right opposite it when watching tv so late at night it really starts to hurt my eyes. I might just stick some bluetac over it :p. Im sure theres some people on the forums with Z5500's - does the LED bother you?

Soldato
Amp34 said:
Well global warming is supposed to produce hotter, drier summers and milder, wetter winters. The floods of the last couple of weeks have been caused by a cooler and wetter summer, completely the opposite to what is predicted. :)
Global warming does not affect climate in this way, infact it will eventually lead to an ice age...

In general the forcast is more rain all of the time, rain water absorbs heat lessening the ambient temperature this summer. The rain is caused by more water being evaporated into the atmosphere and/or the weather patterns shifting as a result of different air preassures around the globe.

AFAIK for this part of the world it means more rain all the time... and a move towards a similar all year round temperature.

Caporegime
Skyfall said:
Global warming does not affect climate in this way, infact it will eventually lead to an ice age...

In general the forcast is more rain all of the time, rain water absorbs heat lessening the ambient temperature this summer. The rain is caused by more water being evaporated into the atmosphere and/or the weather patterns shifting as a result of different air preassures around the globe.

AFAIK for this part of the world it means more rain all the time... and a move towards a similar all year round temperature.

Not quite what my lecturer told me, although that could be because I forgot half of it in the holidays. :p

Although the will in the ice age statement is wrong, there is a chance it couud cause an ice age in the near future (say thousand years) but the most probable date will be in the pretty distant future (say 10-20+ka). At the moment we are only just coming out of an ice age (we are not actually out of it yet).

Anywho I was just commenting on that specific statement with the general wisdom at the momemt, that global warming is supposed to bring warmer drier summers (like the last few years), removing all of the more complicated stuff like extreme weather and the fact climate is measured over a much longer time than a year.

Soldato
mr_x_plosion said:
Sunbeam Rheostat fan control - LED's so bright they light up my whole town!

If I leave my PC on overnight, the whole room is lit up by my Sunbeam fan controller. And that's just the blue lighting behind the knobs. I keep the LED backlight turned off.

Blue is cooler than green or red though :cool:

Soldato
If you want bright, check out the Nichia CS binned white LED's. Twice as bright as previous 5mm white leds. :eek: :cool:
BenST said:
They are. A lil green LED would cost the consumer less than 5p, blue LED's often cost £1 or more.
Rubbish. Blue and white led's cost a fraction more when you buy 1000 or more.
BenST said:
Blue LED's also consume a lot more current than green/red ones so not only are they annoying but they're also contributing to global warming and thus the current floods that are happening!
Again, rubbish...
They have a higher forward voltage compared to red or green leds. Usually red/green leds are ~2.2v while blue/white leds are ~3.2v depending on the make an model. It's up to the OEM's to choose how bright they want to tun thier LED's. You can undervolt them and they will run dim and use less current therefore power. You can also overvolt them for increased brightness, like you would OC a PC.

Finally, the global warming comment - I hope for your sake you are being sarcastic. :p

1 x Blue LED 3.2v 20ma = 0.064W

How much is 1KW/hr? A few pence?

1000/0.064=15625 hours
651 days

So you would have to leave on a blue LED on for almost 2 years before you would use 1 KW hour! :eek:

(or you could leave a 100W lightbulb on for 10 hours...)

Soldato
The blue LEDs in my zalman fan controller vary in brightness with how high the fans are set, at the highest the LEDs leave blue spots on my retina for about 5 mins if I look directly at them for a few seconds.

Soldato
Amp34 said:
Anywho I was just commenting on that specific statement with the general wisdom at the momemt, that global warming is supposed to bring warmer drier summers (like the last few years), removing all of the more complicated stuff like extreme weather and the fact climate is measured over a much longer time than a year.
Ja, its probably just a little blip, but more and more blips are tending to happen recently.

I find it funny though when its on the news and they say "its the wettest summer in 100 years" obviously things cant be that bad that werent bad 100 years ago :confused:

Permabanned
MikeHunt79 said:
Rubbish. Blue and white led's cost a fraction more when you buy 1000 or more.

Doubtful.

MikeHunt79 said:
Again, rubbish...
They have a higher forward voltage compared to red or green leds. Usually red/green leds are ~2.2v while blue/white leds are ~3.2v depending on the make an model.

Average current for a red/green LED is 2-5mA, average for a blue LED is 20mA>.

Back
Top Bottom