Linux MCE

Permabanned
I am interested in having a play with Linux MCE and would want to use it for these functions:

- DVD Player/Recorder
- Internet
- Free View
- Something akin to Sky+ where you can pause live TV etc and series link

Now I am Linux novice, but am assured that MCE is noob friendly.

My question is what sort of hardware would I need to do this? Specifically for the Sky+ type features and to get freeview in the box?

Is their any hardware I should avoid in terms of Linux compatability?

Soldato
It's based on myth tv, so the same requirements. If the cards you are using are hardware assisted, then 500Mhz + process is fine, if you will be doing software encoding, I think your're looking at about 1Ghz per stream (i.e. ~2Ghz to encode 2 streams at once at decent quality)

Check the wiki.

I downloaded this a while ago and was going to set it up, but never got a round to it. Too much work for only 5 channels. Would need to buy a cable card or a sat card and it all became too expensive for me . In the future perhaps.

Permabanned
OP
Think I need to explain what I would like to do a little more clearly.

By Sky+ features I dont mean actually sky+, what I mean is that I would simply want Freeview with the ability to record, rewind and pause (like Sky+).

Thanks

Man of Honour
Freeview is already mpeg2 encoded so the hardware requirements for that (compared to analogue TV) are less. MythTV / Linux MCE will do exactly what you want but as stated, check the hardware compatibility Wiki.

Soldato
Yeah, it's based off kubuntu as well now, so you'll need a copy of that. There were rumours that KDE4 will incorporate some or all of MCE / mythtv, which may not be included in the 7.10 release and may slip to 8.04.

My reasons for needing the cable card Firedtv box or simliar or sat card, is that I don't get terrestrial broadcast, no Aerial = no free view. All I get is what comes down on the NTL cable, which is digital or the standard 5 analogue channels. I also have a sat dish hooked up, but no PC card for it yet.

Soldato
LinuxMCE looks very nice. I had considered building a box and sticking KnoppMyth on it, but I never got round to it. I'm kinda tempted to do it now, but just wonder how much the missus will moan at me.

Soldato
Ive found linux media center's to be somewhat hit and miss, MythTV is great when it works and if you can get it to work, i gave up in the end as trying to get a haupage hv1100 to work just a PITA (thats before getting LIRC setup) and now use power cinema on WinXP which ive found to be the best media center app out all the ones ive tried (i tried a lot!)
If your building a Linux MC choose the software 1st then buy the hardware thats best supported.

Back
Top Bottom