Top Gear - Polar Special

Soldato
top hours entertainment.

Great show and very very funny. Scripted or not who cares - Excellent TV and only wish we had more of it to get rid of the CRAP that we currently suffer on Tv.

Soldato
I neeeed a HD copy, that was the best TV I have seen for a while... loved it :D

Looking forward to TopGear coming back now, it seems so far away.

Associate
Jokester said:
Top Gear Website said:
If the thought of the Top Gear boys attempting their most arduous challenge to date - a 450-mile race across the Arctic to the Magnetic North Pole
:o

Then I have been under some illusion that true north was magnetic north. I was merely confirming your earlier post of "so it's the magnetic north pole" with my "True north". So you see I was actually agreeing with you, but it backfired on me. :(

Just for the record, how is 'True North' defined? Is it the most northern point toward the axis of spin? (probably could warrant its own thread.)

Soldato
Smithy said:
Just for the record, how is 'True North' defined? Is it the most northern point toward the axis of spin? (probably could warrant its own thread.)
The North Pole is the point through which the axis of rotation passes – however that axis wobbles a bit to the pole moves around a bit – only by meters though, not km.

For mapping purposes there is now a fixed “geographic” North pole.

The magnetic pole however is something completely different. It moves all over the place and is currently FAR (hundreds of miles) from the real North pole. As of 2005 is was in Canada at at 82.7° N 114.4° W. Are those the co-ordinates Clarkson et al went to?

Going to the magnetic is quite frankly pretty easy – as they demonstrated by driving there in a few days with a film crew. A lot of the hype and excitement about this feet comes from confusing the magnetic pole with the real North pole.

Caporegime
clv101 said:
The North Pole is the point through which the axis of rotation passes – however that axis wobbles a bit to the pole moves around a bit – only by meters though, not km.

For mapping purposes there is now a fixed “geographic” North pole.

The magnetic pole however is something completely different. It moves all over the place and is currently FAR (hundreds of miles) from the real North pole. As of 2005 is was in Canada at at 82.7° N 114.4° W. Are those the co-ordinates Clarkson et al went to?

Going to the magnetic is quite frankly pretty easy – as they demonstrated by driving there in a few days with a film crew. A lot of the hype and excitement about this feet comes from confusing the magnetic pole with the real North pole.

Don't forget grid north... ;)

I think they may have been driving to the 1996 magnetic noth pole.

Soldato
Me and my girlfriend watched this and didn't stop laughing the whole way though. At times it had a semi-serious nature, depicting some of the hazard of the place which probably only heightened the hilarity due to the way in which they completely disregarded as much safety information as possible and hashed up the training.

Good to see that vehicle getting through all the ice and just pummeling its way through big banks of snow.

Were we the only ones who felt really sorry for R.Hammond when he got that call from the others? By the end we were really rooting for the guy to win.

Soldato
n3crius said:
Were we the only ones who felt really sorry for R.Hammond when he got that call from the others? By the end we were really rooting for the guy to win.
My girlfriend was watching it with me and felt the same, she felt really sorry for Hamster, she doesn't know it is scripted and just a little banter between friends :p

She already felt sorry for him when they had all the food and drinks in the car hen he was struggling with the sled in the cold.

Soldato
Here's some pictures posted by someone I know. His team had dealings with this expedition.

073.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

063.jpg

Associate
Great pictures :)

One thing though, how come in the main picture it shows two pick-ups one with a truckman cover and one without.

But in the other pictures there are two without truckman covers? One is a 07 reg and the other a 56.

Odd?

Back
Top Bottom