My inerest in I.T has died...

Soldato
I used to love compuers and everything to do with them, but lately, I just can't handle it any more.

I am a web developer by trade, and right now I just can't face it.

If I sit in front of a PC to code, I just go blank. My PC at home gives me hassles, I just turn it off and don't bother trying to fix it.

I have considered getting a job elsewhere, as I hate my current place of employment, but just the thought of going and staring at a screen all day somewhere else just sickens me.

Don't know why posting this here. Guess I am just looking for thoughts from people who might have gone through similar feelings/situations.

Associate
ffallic said:
I used to love compuers and everything to do with them, but lately, I just can't handle it any more.

I am a web developer by trade, and right now I just can't face it.

If I sit in front of a PC to code, I just go blank. My PC at home gives me hassles, I just turn it off and don't bother trying to fix it.

I have considered getting a job elsewhere, as I hate my current place of employment, but just the thought of going and staring at a screen all day somewhere else just sickens me.

Don't know why posting this here. Guess I am just looking for thoughts from people who might have gone through similar feelings/situations.

going through exactly the same thing now, i've been working the past two years since my computer science degree, and i just hate computers. exactly what you said is true, i used to be a real hobbiest, but when my computer goes wrong i just turn it off.

I'm changing my career and going into architecture, possibly going back to university at the end of next year, unless i can get an architecture placement.

Soldato
I have been like that for years. IT Manager by trade, can't be arsed with them at work, and at home I just use a laptop for the Internet. If it breaks it is ages before I can be bothered to do a re-install.

Xbox360/Wii for gaming and a mountain bike and soon a road bike for having my fun in the evening and weekends.

Forget computers for fun! :(

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Maybe you should get a Mac :p

Seriously though, I almost didnt do computing at uni for fear of that. Done 2 years now and I'm still enjoying it. Got a placement year next year so hopefully that will be a good indicater for me!

Associate
Dracata said:
going through exactly the same thing now, i've been working the past two years since my computer science degree, and i just hate computers. exactly what you said is true, i used to be a real hobbiest, but when my computer goes wrong i just turn it off.

I'm changing my career and going into architecture, possibly going back to university at the end of next year, unless i can get an architecture placement.

simmilar to what i did... after 2 years studying computer sci.. switched to architecture.. loving it now working for a private practice.. no regrets.

Soldato
OP
Well, I have decided to go for a complete career change. Will be trying to get into film/TV.

Not going to be easy and going to have to take a pay cut and start from the bottom, but it's the only thing I can imagine myself ever enjoying.

I already have 2 contacts to talk to, so hopefully this will work out.

Soldato
I went through the same thing that the OP is going through about 5 years ago. For the ten years before that I had been into computers, (not just PCs), in a big way but I was working in IT and things were not going well at work for various reasons outside my control and when I got home I didn't even want to look at a computer.

I had quite a bit of computer equipment at home but all I was using was a laptop for surfing and a server for backing up the laptop too. I went from spending most of my spare time fiddling around with computers and talking about them with my friends to not doing anything with them, other than basic email and web, for weeks on end.

In the end I realised that the problem was due to the work situation and i spoke to my boss's boss about things and had my role changed so that I wasn't doing the tasks which were badly affecting me and instead was doing tasks which were interesting me more.

This meant that I regained my enthusiasm (took a while) and eventually my interest in fiddling with things came back. I know that I am starting to get into the same situation again, although whats causing it is only likely to last 6-8months and I have something after that to look forward too ... also I'm in a better position now to do something about it if things get really bad as I have more options open to be at work than I had before.

So the original poster should not just buy some new different kind of hardware. They should identify what is causing them to feel this way and then work out what they can do to address that issue.

Soldato
2 things that i would pass on as advice after working in an IT department

1) Don't bother

2) Don't bother

OP: I would suggest not overclocking :p

I wish you all the best in your career change. :)

Soldato
I have been in a similar situation. I loved computers SO much as I was growing up, going though High School and College etc. Between the ages of 9 and 19 i wanted to be a Games GFX developer and what not, I worked hard to try and improve my skills ready for Uni and what not, but while I was in college I got seriously bored from sitting behind a screen all day long, and had a long hard think about my future. Decided to go in the Army in the end, and LOVED it, loved the physical aspects of it, loved being out doors etc. Only did 9 weeks of training before I had to come home because of an Injury. Since then I've been working in London as an I.T. & Administration Support guy for a small firm in the square mile, and I HATE it, being stuck behind a desk every day of the week. At the weekends, I barely touch my computers, either Consoles or PC except when I want to watch a film or something. Should be back in the army in about 2-3 months, and I cannot wait :D.

Associate
mate i am in the exact same situationa as you right now, 27 years old and no interest in anything it related anymore, plain old fashioned bored stiff.

i think its the 9 to 5 at a desk staring blankly at the computer screen.

currently investigating other options.

Soldato
Another one here. I used to breathe computers when I wasn't working in the industry. Now I hate having to do anything on them except play a game or browse the few sites I still visit.

Working in IT is the most dull experience of my life, and thankfully I only have another month of it to go. :)

Soldato
Join the club.

For quite a few years I was hooked on PC's. Always upgrading, building systems for people, over clocking and learning new things. It was a real hobby and something I loved doing in my free time so I thought, why not pursue this as a career?

went to Uni to do an IT related degree and now I have absolutely no interest in the subject at all.

The last 2 years I sold my high spec PC for something smaller/quieter which I've left running at stock speeds. I've now sold that that and just use my laptop. If anyone comes up to me now with a computer related problem I try my absolute most to not get involved. Three years ago I would without fail.

Upon finishing my degree I sat down and though whether I wanted to this for the next 30 years of my life. The answer was a resounding no and so i looked at other career paths.

Currently halfway through the police application process and can't wait to start.:)

Soldato
.o/

I raise my hand too! Been in IT now for years and its so dull. Pays the bills though so cant afford to just dump it all and start again at the moment. Most people I know dont enjoy their jobs in other careers so the grass isnt always greener!

Would love to go into Journalism or something similar as I love reading and writing now. If someone told me years ago I would want to become a journalist I would have just laughed! Just cant face starting again on a lower wage until I have money saved up for the hard times :(

Used to love upgrading my PC and tinkering with it now barely use it when I get home and just want to sell the gaming rig and get a macbook for the internet to spend time with mates out and about. Suppose thats just part of growing up I suppose and its not such a bad thing wanting to be out and about rather than sitting in my room!

Soldato
Totality said:
Most people I know dont enjoy their jobs in other careers so the grass isnt always greener!
I think the main thing is here is how it turned from a complete passion to something that's completely mind numbing.

as GuruJockStrap said, I try not to get involved with other peoples computer problems anymore. Years ago I would have jumped at the chance, make a few extra quid, and look cool and stuff fixing it, but now, I try not to do anything. I'm always getting asked by family to fix things, so I do it for them still, but no longer for other people.

4p

4p

Soldato
Ahhh i caught my boredom for PC's early

Instead of going straight into Programming at A Level i did a year course with a mix of a lot of things

Although the programming was challenging and sometimes fun i just couldnt see myself doing it for a living

So im doing Interactive Media at A level in hope to be in Film

Always had a creative mind, so i was told from a very young age

I do allsorts at home too, Video editing, Audio, Image etc and i enjoy it a lot

Hoping to get a job at the New BBC Hub being developed in Salford :D

Gl with the career change dude

edit: Most of my course will be done on Mac hehe so i'll end up buying a MacBook

Associate
Same, for the past two years.
I've gone from a 3 screen setup with the fastest computer on the market and the best graphics card money could buy, with a 2tb fileserver to using my works laptop for web and msn.

Back
Top Bottom