how do i (ubuntu) ???

Soldato
im wanting to customize Ubuntu to a specific detail basically so that a lot of the programs have been removed and that specific users only have access to the programs maybes background (change pic etc) and thats it...

ive removed the programs that i don't want and set up 2 groups admin and terminal users and thats all i want but i dont want terminal users to have options to services or systems etc how would i go about doing this (then i want to make an iso of the setup) and install on several other machines ive heard of alternate cd but i aint heard anything other than a customizable oem cd....

any help would be brilliant please

Soldato
Have you looked in

System > Users and Groups?

If you click on a username and click Properties, under the prividges tab theres a list of things you can allow/disallow that user to do.

Having just taken a look I don't know if it will be enough, might be a good place to start though.

Soldato
If you're on about the top menus in Gnome, there should a be a Menu Configuration/Layout or something like that in System > Preferences which should let you remove program entries, or you can use XML files in a user's $HOME/.config/menus/ folder but that's trial and error and a bit of a pain.

You can't easily make ISOs which include your own custom settings (just packages really), post-install scripts for copying your configuration files over to the new machine should be OK. Imaging the whole hard disk would probably work as well, bit of a sledgehammer/nut scenario though.

Soldato
OP
well there all the same spc realy so it should be easy just a hunk of old hp's pentium 3 (dunno what mhz) with 256 ram same mobo the lot..... thats all

thanks ill have to give it a look

Back
Top Bottom