Smart Roadster

Associate
AcidHell2 said:
Taht word says it all, it not a smart roadster, the brabus one is actually sporty.

The Brab has a slightly bigger turbo, a foam air filter element instead of paper, a centre-exit exhaust, a remap, leather interior, and alloy handbrake/gearshift/pedals.

All of those differences were available as options on the lesser models too so, yes, it is a Smart Roadster, just fully loaded.

Associate
AcidHell2 said:
I thought the barb was significantly more powerful than the normal version?

Only by around 20bhp (IIRC, i'm doing all this off the top of my head).

Of course, 20brake is signficantly more powerful when you're talking low numbers anyway, but my point is that all of this was/is available as options to the "normal" Smarts too.

Associate
spaz said:
I believe there was a special V6 version that they made costing about £300k :eek:

V6 bi-turbo.
Brabus only made a couple of them as prototypes I believe, it didn't go into production. As such i'm sure the £300k figure was the development cost, and not a purchase price per se.

Edit:

Just checked Wiki and it seems that ten were produced, but are not even road-legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Roadster#Brabus_V6_Bi-Turbo_prototypes

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I tried one for a day on holiday a few years ago. Rubbish gearbox (CVT), but otherwise quite a lot of fun. Felt like it was travelling a speed in mph, that it was displaying in kph, which in these days of gatsos is generally a good thing.

As already stated, the problem is the sheer cost of it, as you could buy an MX5 for the same amount of dosh, and how much I like the Smart, the MX5 is a massively better option.

Associate
Mr_Sukebe said:
I tried one for a day on holiday a few years ago. Rubbish gearbox (CVT),

Was it a pre-tiptronic model?
I had one with the paddle shifters, and while it still didn't shift as smoothly as a real manual, it was apparently far better than the earlier Smart gearshift quality.

It's the cost that would stop me ever buying another one, aside from that though they really are enjoyable.

Soldato
Considered a Copen? I test drove one a few years back and absolutely loved it. You felt like you were going quicker than you actually were with the roof down, the seats were very comfortable and it even had a momo steering wheel.

Top picture is a Copen Z, not sure what is under the hood but it warrants Brembos upfront for some reason :D

daihatsu_copen_z_full.jpg

daihatsu-copen-2g.jpg

Associate
I like the look of these things, only problem is they are far too slow, the brabus one kicks out 101bhp. This can be upped to 130bhp with a Tsunami turbo or somehting along those lines. After my research the only thing I could find was this company: http://www.smartuki.com/home.html who can either fit or supply the parts to fit a GSX1000 bike engine! The video's are pretty good, problem is the revs of the engine, the chap said it will fit the roadster ok but its not good for everyday use. Sitting in traffic you have to give it big revs to edge forward etc, morre like riding a bike than driving a car.

Brabus Smart Roadster

smart-brabus-roadster-f3q.jpg

smart-brabus-roadster-r3q.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Weak chassis. A number of people have got full refunds after the chassis bent itself from not being engineered properly.

Given the other electrical problems then you'd have to be slightly mad to buy one I think.

Soldato
Hiya Guys,

I love my Roadster, proud owner of a Roadster Brabus Xclusive :)

Lovely car, with every extra available lol.

Of course it has some issues, the leaky roof for one when using the canvass roof, but the hard top is much better at keeping water out :p I have both, and depending on weather (LOL) its the hard roof is its not good outside.

The handling? chassis? Dunno about other people but mine sticks to the road like no other car I've had/driven :confused: No fears when I'm speeding round corners etc.

I love it to bits, and it sounds sweet :cool:

Without a doubt get a black Brabus, you know it makes sense :D

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
I tried one for a day on holiday a few years ago. Rubbish gearbox (CVT), but otherwise quite a lot of fun. Felt like it was travelling a speed in mph, that it was displaying in kph, which in these days of gatsos is generally a good thing.
Summed up nicely IMHO.
you may not be travelling very fast, but you feel like you're flying along.
Mr_Sukebe said:
As already stated, the problem is the sheer cost of it, as you could buy an MX5 for the same amount of dosh, and how much I like the Smart, the MX5 is a massively better option.
The MX is a much better car, and when looking at new prices i'd agree. but the MX holds its value well so in the used market the Smart can look more attractive.
Bug One said:
I really like them. They just need a bike engine and a manual gearbox.
has anyone actually done this?
thepharcyde said:
Considered a Copen?
Outstanding car, let down by its "girly" appearance.

Man of Honour
AcidHell2 said:
If I had one I would smash it up. It sums up what's wrong with the modern life.

everyone wants the sporty look, but are to worried about co2 and 99% of people haven't even read up on the subject. :rolleyes:

Gordon Murray disagrees with you, he thinks they are excellent sports cars which need a manual box.

Gordon Murray has forgotton more than this whole forum put together will ever know about designing sports cars.

Soldato
Pointless little buzz bombs for middle aged women who wont accept that no amount of flash and push up bras is going to hide the fact that they are pushing 50.
The money is better spent on a proper little 2 seater or small sports car.

No i've not driven one and wouldnt buy one if i was in the market either, they fullfill none of the remit of a two seater sportster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom