"Spirited" drive in the countryside, bit confused

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Despite having owned my 330i sport for around 3 months, today was about the first chance I've had to actually open it up a little on a vaguely challenging road. What I mean by that is that fast motorway driving really doesn't interest me, and most of the windy roads near where I live are so jammed with traffic, that you never get to do much beyond engage the cruise control.
So I was pleasantly surprised to drop off the M6 to avoid some traffic, and have some roads with a bit of fun. Mix in some good overtaking opportunities (with plenty of safety) and you'd think that I'd get out smiling like a Cheshire cat. If I'd been in my MX5, I'm sure that I would have been, yet somehow the Bimmer impressed me with it's ability, whilst feeling more than a little removed. Weird feeling.
As mentioned, bloody impressive for a saloon. I believe that it has tyres the same width as an M3 E46 to which you can add Bimmers sports suspension. So grip and traction simply never seem to be a problem. Quite the contrary, makes me wonder what Audi's need quattro for, as it was stupidly fast around bendy roads and made the other cars I came across look like they were stood still.

So as a performance car, does an ace job. Can't say that it really excites me though. Maybe that wouldn't be a good thing as it's primary function is to drag around 2+1 in refined comfort.

Caporegime
Mr_Sukebe said:
So as a performance car, does an ace job. Can't say that it really excites me though. Maybe that wouldn't be a good thing as it's primary function is to drag around 2+1 in refined comfort.

I would'nt describe my car as a performance car, that said, it'll hussle along back roads very well.

It's not involving to drive, too easy tbh, handles like a much smaller car and will happily bat around corners!

After such a drive, you get out feeling no different. - 2+3 in refined comfort! :)

The same drive in my mates old e21 3 Series, with race suspension, was quite another experience, despite having no where near as much power & speed.

It just felt bloody fast where in my 7, you don't realise you've crept upto 80+

Man of Honour
Mr_Sukebe said:
As mentioned, bloody impressive for a saloon. I believe that it has tyres the same width as an M3 E46 to which you can add Bimmers sports suspension. So grip and traction simply never seem to be a problem. Quite the contrary, makes me wonder what Audi's need quattro for, as it was stupidly fast around bendy roads and made the other cars I came across look like they were stood still.

Quattro is to allow you to do the same thing when it's raining like crazy, and without the traction control kicking in :) (I'm yet to actually get the esp light to come on in the S3 despite some interesting driving).

Having said that, quite a few cars are capable of going so fast that they make it seem quite boring, there is a large amount of fun involved in having to drive a car to make it take a specific stretch of road quickly, and in some cars the speeds required to make that sort of effort necessary are insane (not to mention highly illegal).

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Making other cars look slow on corners does not mean your car is good, obviously it is but you know what I mean. I can make cars look very slow in comparison to my 525i on corners and roundabouts, but thats just because I can drive that car at its limit with ease, but in reality an old 525i SE is not a great car, but yes agreed yours is quite nice. :)

The CSL is gonna be a whole new learning experience though, so more direct and precise plus a whole load more power for me to learn with. :D

Soldato
I had a bit of fun lately on a local B road, my Mum was in the car so I was taking it fairly easy, being really smooth, but still quite pacey. Just getting the lines right (I know the road very well) and using heal n' toe smoothly was more fun than you'd think.

I can't wait till the next time I drive the road on my own in the dry, should be a right hoot.

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
Agreed. You have to go quite a bit "too fast" to really think you enjoyed a drive in the terms I believe you are thinking of!! The best you can really hope for is a lot of tyre screeching :p

Soldato
IAmATeaf said:
So the car instilled confidence in you making you want to drive it quicker and you're complaining? :)

I know exactly what he means, you lose all of the feeling.

The car may be a technical marvel and go stupidly fast around corners, but if it doesn't make you feel involved then it gets boring.

It's what loads of MX-5 drivers say when they give it up for something else (usually something faster).

Soldato
I find the S4 very much removed from the whole driving experience (regardless of the mods) in comparison to the ITR I had before.
S4 is a bulldozer driven by a rugby player round the twisty bits. It simply seems to carve through them.
ITR is a ballet dancer, full of poise, finess and more importantly involvement in the occasion for the driver.

The S4 is also very much removed from the sensation of speed by a large margin too. You really have to keep your eye on the speedo to get the idea of how fast you are going. Passengers who I took in it so far go "meh, its not as fast as the teg you had", I usually end up reading off the 10's of MPH as I put my foot down so they have a better idea. I would imagine the 3 series BMW is very much the same if its anything like the 740 I have driven

Edit:
My next motor I am going to try and combine the two. I want the handling and feedback of the ITR but with the sheer oomph of the S4. Its not going to be fun trying to find it either I imagine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Bobbler said:
ITR is a ballet dancer, full of poise, finess and more importantly involvement in the occasion for the driver.

I went to a meet yesterday evening and we all went for a drive around the tight twisties of Cheddar Gorge. My God the 'teg felt good round there, just utterly, utterly sublime.

Soldato
DreXeL said:
I went to a meet yesterday evening and we all went for a drive around the tight twisties of Cheddar Gorge. My God the 'teg felt good round there, just utterly, utterly sublime.

Its a superb B-road point to point weapon thats for certain. I live just down the road from Cheddar and frequently used to go for a run down there.
Other favourite is the Chepstow to Monmouth through the valley. That's where I test drove my ITR when I bought it from Honda just down from the racecourse. Been back three times over the years just for a drive LOL.
You meet up with the ITR owners (Invarma from Tatsu etc?)

Back
Top Bottom