Which Tracker?

Man of Honour
Hi, im after a tracker for my car Id prefer the types where you can phone them then they text you back with the post code, can anyone recommend anything?

Would my insurance go down much? 10% maybe?

Associate
I had a tacker on my Cupra R, and on my Lotus.
Made no difference to insurance premium.

I think its a requirement for some insurance companies, I guess its all dependant on age, car, postcode etc etc.

Soldato
Yup, hardly worth doing IMO.
Insurance companies will demand them on stuff (Jap imports, Scoobs, Evos etc) but they have no affect on the price of your quote, just if they will or wont cover you.
According to the helpful person I spoke to at Tesco Insurance when I queried adding one to my previous car - they give you the discount on a single piece of security regardless of if its your immobiliser or a tracker, they still work out at the same discount and once only. You can put as much security on it as you like but it wont actually reduce your premium. Also as I believe its no wise to advertise that you have a tracker with a window sticker (makes it easy for a learned thief to find and remove?) you get no reduction in potential theft either.

My view on them is, I get to pay £400 for the unit plus a subscription of X amount. I then get the joy of having my car back after some junkie has ragged the pants off it or jumped up and down kerbs with it. Insurance company wins because you have no payout on the car to claim.
I would rather my car gets nicked and I go buy another one with the payout.

Man of Honour
Bobbler said:
Insurance companies will demand them on stuff (Jap imports, Scoobs, Evos etc) but they have no affect on the price of your quote, just if they will or wont cover you.

Excellent summing up. My STI must have one or no-one will insure it, but when I enquired about fitting one to the old WRX I was told it would make no difference.

And ask yourself: would you want it back after some scum had ragged the nuts off it?

Oh - and I now know where the tracker unit is, after discovering it by accident. Not hard to find, on my car at least.

M

Man of Honour
You don't want a tracker on a Focus.

The good news is your car is pretty much never going to be stolen. Why? Well..

Firstly, it won't appeal to moronic joyriders becuase it isn't easy to steal. It's pretty much impossible to steal a Focus without the keys. So they'll be kept at bay.

Secondly, it won't appeal to those who break into your house just to steal your car - it's value isn't high enough to be worth the risk.

Thirdly, it won't appeal to people who carjack/steal high end cars to break as parts - becuase it's a Focus.

Perhaps the only real chance of it being stolen is if somebody burgles your house in a conventional manner and decides to help themselves to the keys whilst they are at it.

You can sleep easy.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had a tracker retrieve on my Scoob, I only fitted it as it was an insurance requirement, there's no way I would have wanted it back after some ***** had raped it.

My experience is rather different than Meridian's, even with all the bits and bobs I did to the car I never came across the unit.

Back
Top Bottom