New car - what sort of deal do you think I can get?

Soldato
I went to check out the new Leon Cupra today, and I have to say I was quite impressed. I'm pricing a few things up, and the basic cost with a couple of extras (metallic paint, front armrest, bluetooth) is £20,500.

I've never bought a new car before, so I have no idea on how much money I can expect to get off. I'm guessing I'll have to ring a few dealers to try and get a few prices, but I have no idea how to pitch it. I mean would making an offer of £19,000 get me laughed out? "You must be joking sir, we have no problem selling these at list price!" etc..

So any clues on what I might expect? :confused:

Soldato
It's not available on Broadspeed, and Parkers/Whatcar have a target price of the full list price.

It is however always worth bartering, see if you can get some (or all) of the extras you want thrown in for free.

Soldato
OP
Abyss said:
It's not available on Broadspeed, and Parkers/Whatcar have a target price of the full list price.

It is however always worth bartering, see if you can get some (or all) of the extras you want thrown in for free.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, £500 odd of extras for free wouldn't be bad.. I guess they always prefer giving you extras than discounting the list price.

Soldato
Raider said:
"You must be joking sir, we have no problem selling these at list price!" etc..
If they say that, ask them why they only sold 60 in June compared to the Golf GTI which sold 400 or the Octavia VRS which sold 225!

Last edited:
Associate
Go to www.drivethedeal.com, find out the lowest cost (with options) for the car you want, and ask for that price. That way, the price you ask for is a realistic and attainable price, and shouldn't get laughed at (if it does get laughed at it's just the saleperson putting on a show for you).

Bes

Bes

Soldato
£20,000 on a Seat is madness- You can get a MUCH MUCH better car even just a couple of years old for that... Please don't do it :(

Soldato
OP
Bes said:
£20,000 on a Seat is madness- You can get a MUCH MUCH better car even just a couple of years old for that... Please don't do it :(

I had a feeling this would come up.. :p

So what are the suggestions? I do NOT want a BMW or a Mondeo for a start.. I'm looking for a hot hatch really. I don't like the Civic Type Rs, new Golf GTI is a bit dull (and pricey), and the Skodas look terrible.

So what are peoples' suggestions?

Man of Honour
Raider said:
I had a feeling this would come up.. :p

So what are the suggestions? I do NOT want a BMW or a Mondeo for a start.. I'm looking for a hot hatch really. I don't like the Civic Type Rs, new Golf GTI is a bit dull (and pricey), and the Skodas look terrible.

So what are peoples' suggestions?

The issue with buying a new Seat (I'm not going to get into the whole new/used debate, I bought new and am more than happy with my choice) is that they depreciate quite substantially. The thing that makes Seat cars a great second hand buy also makes them a very bad choice for a brand new purchase.

You do realise the Golf GTi and Leon are very similar cars, but the golf will lose money a lot slower (more than offsetting it's slightly higher purchase price).

I'd go for a golf or maybe an A3 2.0 TFSI (lovely interior and better residuals). Failing that, look for a focus ST with a decent discount.

Soldato
OP
cymatty said:
Focus ST, Astra VXR?

Focus ST is fun yes, but fuel economy is horrific. I would consider it otherwise. I can also get 20% of the Focus ST thanks to a family relative. Tempting, but the fuel :eek:

Not keen on the Astra.

Dolph said:
The issue with buying a new Seat (I'm not going to get into the whole new/used debate, I bought new and am more than happy with my choice) is that they depreciate quite substantially. The thing that makes Seat cars a great second hand buy also makes them a very bad choice for a brand new purchase.

You do realise the Golf GTi and Leon are very similar cars, but the golf will lose money a lot slower (more than offsetting it's slightly higher purchase price).

I'd go for a golf or maybe an A3 2.0 TFSI (lovely interior and better residuals). Failing that, look for a focus ST with a decent discount.

I get your point, and I'm not taking buying new lightly. I'll have a quick look at the A3 now

Last edited:
Soldato
Raider said:
Focus ST is fun yes, but fuel economy is horrific. I would consider it otherwise. I can also get 20% of the Focus ST thanks to a family relative. Tempting, but the fuel :eek:

Not keen on the Astra.

The fuel on any of these hot hatches will be high, and lets be honest if you can afford 20k on a car I am sure you can afford an extra £10 a week for fuel. :confused:

Man of Honour
Raider said:

Not keen on the Astra.

If the petrol cupra is anything like it's bigger brother (it has a very similar engine to the S3), then expect 25mpg at best...

Permabanned
Raider said:

So you'd rather spend a few thousand pounds more at purchase to save a couple of hundred quid in fuel costs over the next year?

Awesome logic. like it.

Soldato
OP
divine_madness said:
So you'd rather spend a few thousand pounds more at purchase to save a couple of hundred quid in fuel costs over the next year?

Awesome logic. like it.

It's not the ONLY reason...
I do prefer the look of the new Cupra to the Focus. Plus I find the Focus ST a bit TOO much looks wise.. but maybe I can be persuaded if I have a test drive.

olv

olv

Soldato
the door cards and inside handles on the leon are so horribly plastic i couldn't imagine spending £20k on a car where the build quality was that low.

Back
Top Bottom