We don't feel British, say Asians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Good points, but the bit that gets me going is the section where they say they feel their culture is water'd down when they come to the UK, as if we owe them something and have to let them do what they wish, as a god given right. I know im not the only one who feels like this. a lot of asain people i know and talk to dont really care if they are seen as being british, they want the same as we want, a good life, friends and some fun now and again, thats what it means to many of us to be British, the freedom to have fun.

To some though, they have to change the way everyone thinks and force their ideas down your throat and if they have to make up new laws to do it, fair enough.

If i had to sum it up, using an English expression, they want their cake and eat it, and if you dont let them, then your cakist...

Still, lets all get along nicely, grow up and have fun :)

<C>

Soldato
I like to think I stopped being 100% British as soon as I started travelling to other countries if that makes sense. I guess it depends on your personal interpretation of the arguably subjective term, "British". I am British of course, but I'm also European and I feel an affinity to the US too. However, I've been to Asian and Eastern countries and I feel a certain pull to those as well. As such, I understand people when they say they don't feel 100% British and arguably, perhaps we'd all be better off if we weren't defined simply by our nationality.

A coconut is an inappropriate term as it happens, because it's a reference to skin colour, not culture or country of origin. Of course, we'll always end up getting back to skin colour because, well, us non-whites just "look" different don't we and spoil that utopian view of an all-white Britain? :p

Permabanned
OP
penski said:
Mr. Dog, a few questions for you:

When did your family move to Britain?

How long does a lineage have to live in Britain for its' decendants to be considered 'British'?

Is this measured in years? Attitude? Generations?

Can only those with white skin be considered 'British'?

And...Can we please have your definition of 'British'?

*n
dirtydog said:
Why don't we just go by what the Asians themselves consider themselves to be.

Caporegime
dirtydog said:
Because it is they to whom the article refers? :p

It is quite simple really :) I'm sure most people know whether they consider themselves British or not, and to what degree. I am 100% British for example.

Only, 100%, I am am 132.78% British, slowly working my way up to 150%. That would make me 50% better than you.

Associate
Im Asian, but couldn't be more British

Born in England, parents from India... Lived in England all my life.

Can count the amount of Asian friends I hvae on one hand... not a big fan of Indian food, unless its the most non-spicey curries you can buy at takeaways (I don't like authentic cooking)

but im also getting tired of Dirtydog being basically the only one starting these threads

Caporegime
@if ®afiq said:
...and that's my cue to leave this thread.

It seems to me you only wish to analyse immigrants regardless of how the natives themselves feel (that is one massive assumption you have made!). In my opinion, any answers given would be useless unless compared to something as a guideline and the best thing would be how "British" white natives feel.

To answer the question, I feel 100% human as I think that is all that matters.

Of course this is DDs plan, if you have a reference group then you can actually do some intelligent analysis but without a control then the results are completely meaningless and allows the closet racists to bang on their mindless ideals.

Soldato
It's interesting that once again the headline for 'research' such as this, doesn't actually match the results of the questions asked.

Many Asians 'do not feel British'

Over a third of British Asians do not feel British, a BBC poll suggests.

The research for the Asian Network discovered 38% of the UK residents of South Asian origin polled felt only slightly or not at all British.

From the above, we can not derive how many people answered that they 'did not feel British' and how many said they 'felt slightly British'.

Not that it really matters, as the interpretation of 'British' is completely open to interpretation. Maybe they didn't feel 'British' because they actually felt 'English'?!

If you did a survey of everyone in the UK, there would be some people who would reply that they do not feel 'British', as some people consider themselves as either 'Scottish' or 'English' for example.

Makes good headlines though I suppose :rolleyes:

Permabanned
OP
D.P. said:
Of course this is DDs plan, if you have a reference group then you can actually do some intelligent analysis but without a control then the results are completely meaningless and allows the closet racists to bang on their mindless ideals.
How on earth would knowing what natives think about themselves, be useful in telling us what immigrants think about THEMselves?

This is not about what other people think about the immigrants, it is what they themselves think. Is this a hard concept for people to grasp? :eek:

Caporegime
i guess an overriding question is, how british do you have to feel for DD to believe it is okay for you to live within the UK?

if your sovereignty - but infact of german descent can you feel british? is it your duty to feel british?

how does this translate into actions, to feel british do you have to act british? Do you have to WANT to be british? etc.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Bringing the home nationalities into it totally confuses the issue, and is not the issue of this thread so I'd appreciate you not taking it down that road please ;)
Actually I disagree, I think it's very pertinent and as somewhat of an aside, what do you think of the various British nationalities mixing? I know your opinion is polarised on the idea of non-whites and whites mixing but surely Welsh, Irish and Scottish people have an identity too don't they? Should interbreeding between the various British nationalities be encouraged? Isn't that watering down the lines stretching back through time as the BNP colourfully (npi) illustrates it?

Permabanned
OP
div0 said:
If you did a survey of everyone in the UK, there would be some people who would reply that they do not feel 'British', as some people consider themselves as either 'Scottish' or 'English' for example.

Makes good headlines though I suppose :rolleyes:
But they'd still consider themselves belonging to this country and its people etc. so it would be totally confusing the issue unnecessarily... I wonder why people want to do that :)

Permabanned
OP
Nickg said:
i guess an overriding question is, how british do you have to feel for DD to believe it is okay for you to live within the UK?

if your sovereignty - but infact of german descent can you feel british? is it your duty to feel british?

how does this translate into actions, to feel british do you have to act british? Do you have to WANT to be british? etc.
No, it is very simple.

Asians, how British do you consider yourselves.

Soldato
@if ®afiq said:
To answer the question, I feel 100% human as I think that is all that matters.
And you should be 100% correct, unfortunately there are those, who despite all the problems in the world, still conspire to create yet more problems.

Permabanned
OP
phykell said:
And you should be 100% correct, unfortunately there are those, who despite all the problems in the world, still conspire to create yet more problems.
Why would you say such a thing when you broadly share my views on mass immigration... the inference of your above post is that anyone who wants to come here should be allowed to. Try and be at least a little consistent... :)

To @if ®afiq, he might feel that way but clearly a lot of his fellow Asians do not.

Last edited:
Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Why don't we just go by what the Asians themselves consider themselves to be.

You are asking them if they feel British.

If you do not clarify what 'British' is, then it is a pointless exercise.

So once more, I ask you to clarify this.

I have noticed that you skirt around this question quite regularly (and also those pertaining to your own heritage)...

Are you a closet Asian?

*n

Man of Honour
Was there any research on the reason they don't feel British. If I was made to feel as 'welcome' as some people like to make people from other countries or with different coloured skin feel, I wouldn't feel very British either...

DD, how can you ask the question you have when you've also stated that anyone not of the 'white race' cannot be considered truely British or English?

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Why would you say such a thing when you broadly share my views on mass immigration... the inference of your above post is that anyone who wants to come here should be allowed to. Try and be at least a little consistent... :)
I would say such a thing because I think delimiting immigrants by their nationality, skin colour or culture, is inappropriate and irrelevent. I don't care whether or not an Asian feels 100% British with regards to immigration anymore. My disagreement with the idea of immigration is based solely on numbers and other concrete metrics because I now believe that the threat of cultural change is actually a red herring, used as an argument by people who are actually only concerned with the colour of a person's skin.

Permabanned
OP
penski said:
You are asking them if they feel British.

If you do not clarify what 'British' is, then it is a pointless exercise.
I already acknowledged that there were two ways of looking at it. For this thread I have chosen by far the simplest one because that way it involves pages of argument about what constitutes being British.

I think that what a person considers himself to be is very important; whether that be nationality or anything else.

So once more, I ask you to clarify this.

I have noticed that you skirt around this question quite regularly (and also those pertaining to your own heritage)...

Are you a closet Asian?

*n
What is a closet Asian? Are you asking me if I am non-white?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom