Tintin in the Congo

Associate
I love TinTin, admittidly, I've only ever watched the animated series, but I liked it enogh that I bought the 75th Anniversary DVD Box Set. May buy some copies of the original cartoons to see what I think about the books, or the library probably has them.

Soldato
Enjoy. For comedic stereotyping, you can't beat the banned WW2-era Popeye cartoons satirising the Japanese and their armed forces. Would the Um Bongo adverts be banned, too, in this day?

Soldato
i started watching proper tintin on the net after watching the mboro accent dubbed versions , both as hilarious as each other tbh , tintin is random as a really random thing

Soldato
Spie said:
Just arrived. Should be a fun read
icon14.gif
:eek:

You don't *read* things like this, you keep it in its original wrapping and put it on a shelf somewhere dark and dry!

I predict that it may well increase in value ;)

Soldato
The problem with this whole Tintin debacle is what it might lead to. I read older books myself, and it's quite common for some authors from the 19th and even the 20th century to use terms, expressions, descriptions and assumptions that might raise some eyebrows. What are we to do? Should all books be examined and "altered" as arbitrarily deemed necessary by the zeitgeist?

Soldato
phykell said:
The problem with this whole Tintin debacle is what it might lead to. I read older books myself, and it's quite common for some authors from the 19th and even the 20th century to use terms, expressions, descriptions and assumptions that might raise some eyebrows. What are we to do? Should all books be examined and "altered" as arbitrarily deemed necessary by the zeitgeist?
From what I recall, I believe it was the author himself who altered the comic on request of the publishers, which I can't see there being a problem.

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about this book to be honest, it's not like it's been banned, just one chain decided to move it from the childrens sections to the graphic novel section - shock horror :p

Permabanned
Rich_L said:
From what I recall, I believe it was the author himself who altered the comic on request of the publishers, which I can't see there being a problem.

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about this book to be honest, it's not like it's been banned, just one chain decided to move it from the childrens sections to the graphic novel section - shock horror :p
Presumably the publishers asked the author to modify it because of pressure from the PC lobby?

The book shouldn't even have been moved from the children's section - that was a sop to the PC brigade. Of course the CRE wanted the store to go further and withdraw the book from sale completely. The British public have shown their contempt for that idea by the record sales that the book has enjoyed since :)

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Presumably the publishers asked the author to modify it because of pressure from the PC lobby?
Not from what I can gather, before it was even published the publishers requested it be changed, I can't find any evidence to suggest pressure by any lobby, PC or otherwise. I would wager it's more likely the publishers thought the particular part in question (the rhino-dynamite bit) was distasteful and might hinder sales.

dirtydog said:
The book shouldn't even have been moved from the children's section - that was a sop to the PC brigade. Of course the CRE wanted the store to go further and withdraw the book from sale completely. The British public have shown their contempt for that idea by the record sales that the book has enjoyed since
FWIW I think the CRE were being exceptionally retarded in calling for it to be banned and have basically been made a laughing stock in the whole affair. If they had simply argued that it shouldn't be suitable for children they would have a much stronger and credible argument.

Re: the sales increase, I think it would be a very strange parent who would go out and buy this book specifically to read to their child as some political gesture against 'PC', I suspect most copies have been bought because of the media coverage and people wanting to know what the fuss is about.

Permabanned
Rich_L said:
Not from what I can gather, before it was even published the publishers requested it be changed, I can't find any evidence to suggest pressure by any lobby, PC or otherwise. I would wager it's more likely the publishers thought the particular part in question (the rhino-dynamite bit) was distasteful and might hinder sales.
Okay, they anticipated the inevitable wrath of the PC brigade and attempted to nip it in the bud.

Soldato
Rich_L said:
I wonder what pressure the publishers were subjected to and by whom though. I also wonder how the "request" was worded.

Rich_L said:
It wouldn't be the first time the media has leapt onto an otherwise innocuous event and blown it out of all proportion I guess ;)

Personally, I never liked Tintin but I imagine there are those who have a great deal of affection for it, and the idea of it being sanitised in any way is understandably of some concern. Regarding the wider issue, I don't think PC does us any favours by "covering up" the past because it's as though we're denying such attitudes ever existed. I don't think there can be any excuse for censoring histroy whether it be moving a book to a different shelf, editing otherwise historically accurate films, or rewriting history books regarding a country's actions in WWII. Next thing you know, people will be denying the holocaust.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom