Tintin in the Congo

Suspended
phykell said:
Personally, I never liked Tintin but I imagine there are those who have a great deal of affection for it, and the idea of it being sanitised in any way is understandably of some concern. Regarding the wider issue, I don't think PC does us any favours by "covering up" the past because it's as though we're denying such attitudes ever existed.
Definitely agree with this - the book should not be censored. But what are your opinions on whether it was right to move this book from the children's section in whatever bookshop it was?

(As I ask that question I come to realise how ridiculous this debate is... ;))

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I read the title and thought of the Um Bongo song :o

You may ban me now..

Soldato
maybe it's just Spie's avatar.

But I've got a picture of Marlon Brando from the "Godfather" sat in a high backed leather chair reading Tin Tin

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
Definitely agree with this - the book should not be censored. But what are your opinions on whether it was right to move this book from the children's section in whatever bookshop it was?

(As I ask that question I come to realise how ridiculous this debate is... ;))
I don't know really, but I suppose it's up to the retailer. It's the risk of it becoming a prevailing attitude that worries me, or when the relevant pressure groups garner some support from the Government or other authorities.

Soldato
Congo is the only Tintin book i don't own, i bought it after all this hype purely because some moron will have it banned at some point in the future.

It not Herges best work (far from it i think - Red Rackhams Treasure!) but its part of the collection.

Caporegime
chimaera said:
Congo is the only Tintin book i don't own, i bought it after all this hype purely because some moron will have it banned at some point in the future.

It not Herges best work (far from it i think - Red Rackhams Treasure!) but its part of the collection.
Thats one point about the book, ignoring all the PC nonsense. Much like The Colour of Magic not being a great Discworld Novel, Herge was finding his characters feet in Tintin in the Congo, and its not a great book.

Back
Top Bottom