NAS

Permabanned
I'm toying with the idea of getting one!

I guess you acess it via an IP adress?

I googled but didnt find much info on it!

IDE or SATA going to be best?

Any recomendations on any?

Suspended
You access config via web ui.
But you access the directory path via windows networking, you can then map the directory to a drive.

Do you want dual or single bay NAS?
See last item in sig.

Suspended
Drazic said:
Okay so it wouldn't show up in my Cpmputer as a HD or anything then?

I only want to stick data on

Initially, no. Search network, it'll then find it. You can then create shortcut on your desktop, and map to the network path as a drive. I have the DNS-323 set to Z:\

Caporegime
Drazic said:
Okay so it wouldn't show up in my Cpmputer as a HD or anything then?

I only want to stick data on

yes and no

it wont show up as a hard disc. But it will show up in my computer as a network drive, which is practically the same thing.

Permabanned
OP
MrLOL said:
yes and no

it wont show up as a hard disc. But it will show up in my computer as a network drive, which is practically the same thing.

Lovely. Just placed an order for a SATA Netgear one, got it for £44.32 delivered!!!

Got 2 1TB drivers here ready to go in

Thanks guys

Associate
If it is the Netgear SC101T which is the updated version but with SATA and gigabit ethernet then I would still say cancel the order if you can as it is NOT a proper NAS as mentioned by Squiffy it needs to have software installed on each machine.

I have heard good things about the Synology and also the Thecus kit but have not used them.

I am using the Dlink NAS currently have 1 x 500GB drive and 1 x 250GB and it works very well.

What you want is a proper NAS which the Netgear one is not unforunately

Soldato
I got two of the original SC-101 units in for eval.

I didn't like that you had to install the driver for the box on each PC (no straight forward UNC based access).

On one box I put in a pair of HDs and mirrored them. Had huge problems with the two PCs which used the box getting corrupted Word & Excel documents. Surfing the NetGear forusm showed I wasn't alone and NetGear were very slow doing anything about it.

I think they ended up in the bin. Avoid!

Associate
Another 'dump it' quote for the Netgear - I bought one from PC Monkies, yes I know but was in a rush. Got it out, set u pthe nas then read the 'install on all machines'.

20 mins later all back in the box getting full refund from them - reason: its not what it says on the box.

Now got a cracking little setup from elsewhere, so can't mention it :D

Permabanned
OP
Re-thinking this idea!

Spotted a SATA multi block, i got external SATA ports on my mobo it will do on that i guess.

Thoughs sticking it on my Netgear routre would be very good ut i only want a card to do the job

zetec452

Z

zetec452

Does the Synology DS-207 have all the same features as the DS-107e? Ie with the HTTP redirect and stuff?

Cheers,

EDIT: Yes it does sorry should have looked at the website first. :o

Shame the DS-107e can only support up to a 750gig hard disk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom