Useless grrrrr CV's rant

Soldato
Sorry but just felt the need to rant. I am doing all the recruitment for a company at the moment and they are looking for a admin assistant at the moment.

Of all the cv's I have recieved about 75% have really obvious spelling and punctuation errors. Obviously as this is a role that includes drafting letters and emails to outbound clients the temptation is just to throw these cv's straight in the bin. If I was the end employer I certainly would!

Please Puhleeaase anyone here that is doing a cv type it, print it, READ IT! Then get someone else to proof read it as well!!!

I am not putting my hand up as someone with exceptional grammar, in fact I get my office manager to proof any bulk mailing I send out. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

/rant

Soldato
Tell me about it... I am working for an IT Recruitment company for the Summer, and you won't believe some of the **** I have seen in my 4 weeks here so far!

- 100's of people applying for a telecoms job without any telecoms experience

- most recent employment:
"i worked at mcdonald's where i worked well in a team to provide good quality food to loyal customers"
- 19 page CV

- one guy spelt his own name wrong 3 times

- one guy started referring to himself by a nickname

The list goes on... although you get a laugh sometimes with names like Swati Mylavarapu and Dick Vista! :D

Soldato
Beren said:
Sorry but just felt the need to rant. I am doing all the recruitment for a company at the moment and they are looking for a admin assistant at the moment.

Of all the cv's I have recieved about 75% have really obvious spelling and punctuation errors. Obviously as this is a role that includes drafting letters and emails to outbound clients the temptation is just to throw these cv's straight in the bin. If I was the end employer I certainly would!

Please Puhleeaase anyone here that is doing a cv type it, print it, READ IT! Then get someone else to proof read it as well!!!

I am not putting my hand up as someone with exceptional grammar, in fact I get my office manager to proof any bulk mailing I send out. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

/rant

Look at the position you're recruiting for. Look at the sort of people that get employed in these positions. There's your explanation.

Soldato
Personally I'd expect and admin assistant to be able to write basic letters or at the very least their own CV ! :p

The OP has a point, but simply put they don't really do spelling at schools anymore, doubt you can even lose marks for poor spelling in exams.

Soldato
Ex-RoNiN said:
Look at the position you're recruiting for. Look at the sort of people that get employed in these positions. There's your explanation.
Hey! That's my job at the moment! lol

Well, it was when I joined the company 11 months ago on a 2 month contract, got taken on for another 10 months as a Project assistant because I was good at what was needed. Just a shame I can't wait to get out of here now, bloody hate office work! hehe.

I must admit though, my 1st CV's that I handed out when I moved to London were atrocious, not spelling or anything, just not well formed CV's. Learnt a lot in the past year at this company heh.

Soldato
OP
Kami said:
Personally I'd expect and admin assistant to be able to write basic letters or at the very least their own CV ! :p

The OP has a point, but simply put they don't really do spelling at schools anymore, doubt you can even lose marks for poor spelling in exams.

I know, and it is frightening. people run a spell checker and think their cv must be ok. So I get cv's for people that supposedly have experience 'minting' meetings.

I wouldn't mind so much if these were the cv's of school leavers or people with no office experience. These are the cv's of people that have worked in an office for years!!!

Soldato
It works both ways though... I was put forward for an interview, went to the company's website and downloaded the job spec (word doc). Opened it, and had at least 4 red underlines pop up straight away. Really put my off the company before I had even gone to see them.

Soldato
Danger Phoenix said:
- 19 page CV

- one guy spelt his own name wrong 3 times

- one guy started referring to himself by a nickname
LOL, what the crap do you put in a 19 page CV?!

This thread reminds me of my old housemate, he was an obese thicko, his CV was like reading primary school work.

Soldato
oddjob62 said:
It works both ways though... I was put forward for an interview, went to the company's website and downloaded the job spec (word doc). Opened it, and had at least 4 red underlines pop up straight away. Really put my off the company before I had even gone to see them.

That reminded me of this i received last week regarding a 2nd interview.

Dear ,

I would like to confirm that we have invited you for a second interview on Wednesday 1st August at 10:00 am. Please could you ask for either myself or xxxxxxx upon arrival.
blah blah
We look forward to meeting with you on Friday.

Kind regards,

This was from the person doing the interview :rolleyes:

Associate
Beren said:

Spelling and punctuation errors like those?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dfhaii said:
Spelling and punctuation errors like those?
Yes. I also hate applicants that don't read an entire job description, a little like your failure to read my entire first post. I award you one :rolleyes:

Associate
I read your entire first post, and as such spotted the bit where you said your grammar wasn't exceptional. There is a difference between not exceptional and two errors in one simple sentence. Also, if you're able to criticise other peoples' spelling and grammar on a public forum, you had best ensure yours is right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dfhaii said:
I read your entire first post, and as such spotted the bit where you said your grammar wasn't exceptional. There is a difference between not exceptional and two errors in one simple sentence. Also, if you're able to criticise other peoples' spelling and grammar on a public forum, you had best ensure yours is right.

To be honest, grammer and spelling on OcUK Forums is not going to affect your career in any way. However, having such mistakes in a CV is just careless and in some cases stupid, and will most definitly hinder your chances of getting a job.

I chucked out a CV because the guy spelt his name wrong THREE times - that tells me that the candidate is not good enough for my client, and therefore gets passed over, despite his skills!

Suspended
daveyj27 said:
I'd say that there is a world of difference between between making a post on a forum and composing a correctly written CV.
There shouldn't be. Making your writing readable should be second nature, not something that you have to concentrate on in order to get it right.

Associate
Arcade Fire said:
There shouldn't be. Making your writing readable should be second nature, not something that you have to concentrate on in order to get it right.

The OP is perfectly readable though.

If the OP was written in lazy "txt-s p k", or without punctuation and capilization (as seems to be increasingly popular lately) then he'd deserve to get pulled up on it, but a couple of typos/misspellings hardly justify it.

Back
Top Bottom