Is my friend weird or am i old in the head?

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
how does one actually pronounce rofl and lol anyway? Why not just laugh ?
I'd guess they're pronounced 'roffle' and 'loll', however I can't answer the 2nd part of your question, surely just laughing would be the obvious thing to do :confused:

Soldato
Mr.Orb said:
I don't even use text speak in text messages... I think it ****** my friends off when they receive these huge essays.
I do the same. Manage to use up about 3 texts whereas other people would only use 1 :)

Helps me to use up my free credit though ;)

Soldato
If anyone really has to use them in real conversation then at least keep it consistent and say it like the guy off fonejacker as thats mildly amusing, best left to the internet though tbh. :p

Permabanned
Mr.Orb said:
I don't even use text speak in text messages... I think it ****** my friends off when they receive these huge essays.

Same here, I refuse to use the language of the chav and prefer to use English in its stead.

Associate
I am occasionally guilty of muttering WTF as, "wuh tuh fuh," (lowercase phonetic) under my breath.

I am not proud.

I only say, "lol," out loud when someone tells a really crap joke.

Soldato
monkai666 said:
Its general curiosity this one. My friend is into anime in a big way and loves all his role playing stuff, he also loves dragons and stuff. I can deal with this and don't deem it weird at all *except for when he invites me round and then proceeds to watch anime for 7 hours with headphones ignoring me).

However.

I do not use abbreviations or acronyms like WTF, LOL, LULZ(someone sent me that a week ago and i just found out what it was),ROFL or any others. I prefer to just spell the whole phrase out if i write it which i mostly don't.

Anyway, i wander, do you know anyone who uses these IN SPEECH? For example, i confused him once and he replied with "WTF?". I'm not an old guy twining, i'm 20 years old, but this justs seems stupid to me. He does it all the time too.

I like that stuff also, I am 29. Ofcourse there are no sources for good anime around here, in redneck valley, USA.

Soldato
with a few of my mates i might say

CBA TBH

or

lol TBH

or just

lol. the problem is now i often just say lol and actually dont laugh which must sound quite rude.

*edit*
on msn/forums/text i try my hardest to spell correctly and use grammar properly.. i only use the abbreviations like cba, tbh, lol and thats about it..

*edit2*
i absolutly despise anime.. i dont mind people who just watch it but more than 1 film a day and getting into all the roleplay stuff is just sad imo. but then most people would say me spending 4hours on this forum a day is sad so each to there own i suppose!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to use 'WTF?' is to circumvent censorship in forums (like this one) or if you are handicapped in some way that makes typing difficult.

It also goes to show how censorship is applied in an inconsistent way. We all know what the 'F' stands for in 'WTF?'. If it's a Forbidden Word, why is 'WTF?' allowed?

To make something clear: I am not objecting to the censorship here. If OcUK wanted to ban the use of the word 'banana', that would be equally fine with me. They own these forums, so they make the rules.

Soldato
Myself and everyone I know (bar my sister) never shorten words like "thru" and such. Occasionally a few people I know use "lol". I often use "brb". But seriously, I've never heard anyone speak net acroymns in real life. That'd just annoy the hell out of me.

Associate
OP
PsiFox said:
Does he have a fireams licence or collect swords etc.

He's obviously going to kill someone in due course, perhaps you are the sacrificial lamb ;)

Yes, he collects swords and "uses" them. By using i mean he practises with a stick and looks like a batton thrower.

Soldato
monkai666 said:
Anyway, i wander, do you know anyone who uses these IN SPEECH? For example, i confused him once and he replied with "WTF?".

As in, double-u tee ef? Saying that out loud? :confused:

I used to say lol out loud, but that's only because my laughing is even more irritating than yelling lol. :p

Back
Top Bottom