Bridge collapses in US, seven dead

Permabanned
Millwall.FC said:
an JIB approved electrician with city and guilds 2330 30(1),(2),(3) am2, 16th edition, city and guilds 2391 and an nvq lvl3. I think I(i) have a right to comment on the quality of electrical systems in this or any other country. I'm(im) making my opinions(opinion's) from my experience(expireance) from working in another country (Cyprus) and seeing the standard of foreign tradesmen in this country. Albeit I generalised my first comment and I'll stand by that. I would feel more safe living in a house built in this country than one that was built in India for an example.

^^ go proof read that and this I left lots of mistakes(mis takes) for you to correct

grammar nazi.

Associate
Millwall.FC said:
i basicaly said brittish standards are better.

You're comparing British and US building standards, on a civil-engineering level (seeing as we're talking bridge building here), based on being a 16th edition spark? And have you ever worked on a US site at all, or is it idle speculation?

Don't make me laugh. And before you accuse me of belittling sparks, I was one too, which is how I know that it gives no qualification to compare building standards on this level.

Associate
daveyj27 said:
You're comparing British and US building standards, on a civil-engineering level (seeing as we're talking bridge building here), based on being a 16th edition spark? And have you ever worked on a US site at all, or is it idle speculation?

Don't make me laugh. And before you accuse me of belittling sparks, I was one too, which is how I know that it gives no qualification to compare building standards on this level.

i was generalising every thing (as noted in previous post) i have also said its my opinion (also noted in a previous post)
have i said im a bridge building expert?
have i said what i am saying is gospel?
do you know what an opinion is or you just ignorant?

Soldato
KaHn said:
come on then, what do you do for a living which makes you an expert?

me in, well im a structural engineer.

your turn

KaHn

I was considering becoming a structural engineer. Is it "stimulating" and is there very long hours and lots of deadlines and paperwork? Im disleixc and have another eyeproblem where my eyes alternate, which causes them to jump around the page. Bit of a pain in the ass lol, dont need glasses or anything as they wont fix it. Which means heavy paperwork would be a nigthmare. I take a long time to read.

Soldato
Millwall.FC said:
i was generalising every thing (as noted in previous post) i have also said its my opinion (also noted in a previous post)
have i said im a bridge building expert?
have i said what i am saying is gospel?
do you know what an opinion is or you just ignorant?

Sorry to bring this up, but my phone died on my train home to newcastle last night, you tried to claim that building standardsdon't exist outside the UK.

THEY DO! Regardless of what crappy work force they have, all buildings must conform to some building standard or they can't get insurance, its that simple. And sorry, you're a leccy? please don't post uninformed opinions about something you don't know, or can't back up with evidence.

As has been posted before you're talkingNO SWEARING

Also british standards are not the best in the world, for steel work the AISC provide the most comprehensive cover. British standards are old and outdated, they are actually being re-writen into european standards.

KaHn

Soldato
8igdave said:
I was considering becoming a structural engineer. Is it "stimulating" and is there very long hours and lots of deadlines and paperwork? Im disleixc and have another eyeproblem where my eyes alternate, which causes them to jump around the page. Bit of a pain in the ass lol, dont need glasses or anything as they wont fix it. Which means heavy paperwork would be a nigthmare. I take a long time to read.

Hi Dave,

I did aerospace engineering at uni, which will be different to a structural degree, but you need a degree before you can start. Normally from a good uni and a course which is accredited by the IMechE or IStrutE.

Hours are as long as you make them, I work for an Oil and Gas Subsea company, my day consists of analysis work on a computer, talking to suppliers (if i need to), talking to project teams, contractors, draughtsmen, checking other peoples works for mistakes, and writing a report.

My normal day is around 8am-6:30+ but that is more of choice as i get paid more, at the moment my work load isn't too great as I am always asking for more to do.

I would generally say you have to be good a maths and have a very good understanding of general things.

KaHn

Soldato
KaHn said:
Hi Dave,

I did aerospace engineering at uni, which will be different to a structural degree, but you need a degree before you can start. Normally from a good uni and a course which is accredited by the IMechE or IStrutE.

Hours are as long as you make them, I work for an Oil and Gas Subsea company, my day consists of analysis work on a computer, talking to suppliers (if i need to), talking to project teams, contractors, draughtsmen, checking other peoples works for mistakes, and writing a report.

My normal day is around 8am-6:30+ but that is more of choice as i get paid more, at the moment my work load isn't too great as I am always asking for more to do.

I would generally say you have to be good a maths and have a very good understanding of general things.

KaHn

Thanks. Well im considering taking further maths so i dont think the mathmatical side will be to much of a problem. Really ive only through of two things id be intrested in doing. Maths and statics (mainly because these people are needed and well paid from the start.) or some sort of engeneering like structrual engeneer... but i have found a problem. I dont seem to be able to spell it lol.

I think i might die of bordum doing a maths degree though and im not such a good person for deadlines, which could be bad if i was a structrual thingymagiggy. It does sound like an intresting job :) as long a it varies, which id imagin it does.

Caporegime
from what i heard it was shoddy engineering or upkeeping of the bridge that is happened.never really know could be a conspiraCY

Soldato
8igdave said:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17725892&highlight=structural+engineer

I find reading The Structural Engineer tedious enough as it is - good luck to you!

I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to why the bridge collapsed - it could be anything or a combination of everything. Time will tell. Then in 20/30 years' time, students will be writing essays on it, like I did on the Tay Bridge. :p

So, not only in America... ;)

Associate
KaHn said:

opinions i cant back up with evidence? if i had evidence that would make it a FACT, then it isnt a opinion anymore. i could easily find evidence, i have better things to do than to search the internet for evidence. who are you to tell me not to post my opinion?
i never said building standards dont exists out of uk, a quote on me would be good. I said they were POOR dont twist my words.

Spawn said:

when did i compare electrical work to bridge building?
i said the general quality outside of england was poor.

oh and heres a bridge made out of wires.... http://www.paultownend.com/photos/westcountry/b41.jpg

Associate
Azagoth said:
No it's not, that's the Clifton Suspension Bridge and it's very much made out of metal and stone. The cables are just what keeps it from falling into the Avon Gorge.

it wouldent be a bridge without the cable supports would it? it would be a pile of rubble :)

Back
Top Bottom