Nearly killed on the way to work?

Soldato
A loose strap and buckle on the side of an oncoming lorry made a hell of a dent on the bonnet of my other half's Lupo, god knows what it would have done to a motorcyclist!

Associate
I was driving along the M5 in the middle lane in December '06, about 8:30 PM, throwing it down with rain and very windy.

There was a huge lorry in the inside lane carrying very large tree trunks. Suddenly one fell off the back, bounced a few metres in front of my car then litreally flew over my window screen and over the back of my car, missing by what must have been a foot or two.

It all happened very fast obviously but in slow motion at the same time, it's a total miracle it never went through my window screen, which would have ... hurt.

Was quite a surreal experience, felt like something out of final destination. :D

Associate
Not had anything happen to me luckily, but my uncle has had a huge stone dropped from a bridge onto his bmw by what could only be described as chavs. Cracked the hell out of his windscreen and was lucky to get it onto the hard shoulder in one piece, needless to say he was both seriously livid and at the same time shaking with fear.

Caporegime
Skii said:
A loose strap and buckle on the side of an oncoming lorry made a hell of a dent on the bonnet of my other half's Lupo, god knows what it would have done to a motorcyclist!

I'd tell her to leave a bit more room between her & the side of the lorry!

Buckles do come undone on curtain sider trailers, and they flap about! ;)

Soldato
Going to work, 1st day, travelling from Huddersfield to Warrington (M62). Set off nice and early as it was peeing down. Abput 5 miles in, I'm following a truck carrying palets of bricks. Several came off and I managed to avoid all but one which promptly buckled my wheel. Pulls over on the hard shoulder, chages the wheel half way up saddleworth moor, 20th January, 7.30am, dressed in a suit. Not good.

After pratting about doing that for best part of 15 mins, I'm just about to set off again when PC plod pulls in behind me asking if I'm alright. now, I'm a wet, late, angry young man and he can see this. I explain what's happened and his response? "Were you drinking last night sir?" I'd had one or two cans, couldn't remember, just to settle the nerves before my 1st day. He then insists on the brethalyser test, adding another 10 minutes on to the journey. By the time I set off the M60 was backed up for miles and I was over an hour late - not a good thing. Fortunately my boss just laughed and told me to head off to another branch for the week.

Associate
I was following a builders truck in Bracknell last year and a wheelbarrow fell off the back of it - it was one of those older style barrows too, all metal...missed it by about a foot.... :eek:

Associate
Phal said:
What other interesting objects have people had fly over their cars? :p

Travel any motorway over here and you'll see loads of tyre fragments laying around, some of them absolutely massive. The lorries here seem to shed rubber like a human sheds dead skin, and i'm hoping to never be unfortunate enough to be in the way of the flak.

Soldato
Was following an artic down a narrow B-road the other day going for MOT in a shed of an LDV van when he clipped the verge with the rear end of his trailer and dragged most of an old tree stump out on the road. That got my cheeks twitching i can tell you!.
:D

Soldato
M74 southbound 11amish

Was feeling a little tired (up at 6) as I had been driving for nearly 3 hours. Intended to get off at the next services to get myself sorted. For whatever reason the services were closed (coned off!) so I carried on.

Came round a left bend going downhill & blinked...wrong time :(

Brake lights everywhere in front of me & cars go left & right. Rather sudden shocking to see freshly shed rubber in the middle of my lane :eek:

Lorry not far up ahead on the hard shoulder with a missing rear tyre....

Certainly woke me up though.....

Soldato
Car infront swerved at last second to reveal a nice bright orange bucket in the middle of the road. Had no room to swerve round it as there was traffic coming the other way so I just scrubbed off as much speed as I could and smacked it. Few scratches to the front bumper but they all polished out :)

Permabanned
Had the majority of the transmission system from an old Ford Orion that was in front of me embed itself in my grill. Very scary at 70, I tell you!

Soldato
Phal said:
Ok... So maybe its a slight exageration but it certainly wakes you up when the truck just ahead of you kicks up a lump of concrete the size of a grapefruit and it flys over your car and bounces over the car behind you >.<

What other interesting objects have people had fly over their cars? :p

a stone the size of my fist (i have small hands) get flipped up from a lorry infront and smash my windscreen...

and

a lorry shed a tire which decided to land in the 3rd lane of the m25, i avoided it, but the audi behind me ONLY just missed it and nearly lost it avoiding it.

i hate lorries

Back
Top Bottom