PC Wont Turn On

Associate
My Computer has just stopped turning on, not even the fans come on.
I built it about a year and a half ago.

What could the problem be?
The problem occured after I shut the PC down after about 2 weeks of it being turned on. After I shut it down, it wouldent turn back on.

Associate
OP
The LED's come on when I switch the PSU on. But the PC still wont turn on.

Because the LED's are on (1 led on the motherboard, the other on the front of the case) does this mean its not the PSU thats broke?

Also, their is no movement from the fans

Associate
As the mobo light comes on and it'd been left on for ages, it might just be that the Power On button lead was knocked out and is no longer connected to your mobo. This only takes a couple of minutes to check and is defo. worth doing before unplugging everything.

Soldato
That rules out the power switch being faulty then. It was fairly unlikely to be that but it only takes seconds to check.

Does your case have a speaker in it? Something connected to the motherboard that would beep if there was a fault?

If it does and there is no beep, it leaves two options:
a) The power supply is faulty
b) The motherboard is faulty

PK!

Associate
OP
Tried the fuse.
also..
I came back from holiday about 2 months ago, and the pc wouldent turn on (same symptoms as im having now)

But 2 days later, I hit the power button and it came on.
Afraid that the problem would come back when I shut it down, I left my PC on for 3 weeks. But I had to shut it down eventually, and again..the PC wont turn back on.

I've got a feeling its the PSU, but I dont want to buy one until I know for sure, plus the LED's come on, and the psu makes a 'buzz' noise when I turn it off.

Would leaving my comp on for weeks at a time have burned the PSU out? If so, why do the LED's still come on?

...also, my case has no speaker

Associate
zach2k6 said:
Tried the fuse.
also..
I came back from holiday about 2 months ago, and the pc wouldent turn on (same symptoms as im having now)

But 2 days later, I hit the power button and it came on.
Afraid that the problem would come back when I shut it down, I left my PC on for 3 weeks. But I had to shut it down eventually, and again..the PC wont turn back on.

I've got a feeling its the PSU, but I dont want to buy one until I know for sure, plus the LED's come on, and the psu makes a 'buzz' noise when I turn it off.

Would leaving my comp on for weeks at a time have burned the PSU out? If so, why do the LED's still come on?

...also, my case has no speaker

Id try removing the power plug from the back of the pc and leave it out for about a 30mins to a hour then try plugging it in and see if there is any improvement. This often works for me at work (supporting 1000+ workstations) with similar problems.

Back
Top Bottom