PC Wont Turn On

Associate
Hi buddy I sympathise with you, I'm having the same problem too

see post http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17763495

I thought the motherboard was faulty so took it back to the shop and to my amazement it posted in the shop using there power/cpu/mem/gpu.

so then came home plugged everything in and nothing happens. I'm going back today with all my components to try and find the culprit, I'll let you know how I get on.

Soldato
zach2k6 said:
Would leaving my comp on for weeks at a time have burned the PSU out? If so, why do the LED's still come on?

Leaving it on for that long wouldnt of caused any problems if it was working fine. However, you said it had already been acting up so its likely that whenever you switched it off it could have gone wrong.

The LED's on your motherboard still come on because of the way modern power supplies work. Whenever they are connected to the mains, and the little switch on the back of the supply is on, a small voltage is being supplied to the motherboard, even before you go anywhere near the on button on the front of the case. This is what allows the motherboard to detect when you've pressed the on button, when it sends a signal to the power supply that it can get to work and start supplying all the other voltages on all the other connections that allows everything to work.

Because these two systems are seperate, it is entirely possible that the constant voltage to the motherboard part of the power supply is still working, but the other half just isnt coming on when it gets the signal back from youyr motherboard.

As I've said before, the easiest way to check if its the power supply thats broken is to try another one that you know is working in your rig. I'd still recomend this as the thing to try if you can.

However, if you can't get your hands on one, there is a slightly more complicated way to check if the power supply is working that a couple of people have mentioned earlier. Its done by removing the power supply from the rest of the computer, leaving a fan or light connected to it if you have one, and then short circuiting the motherboard lead so it thinks its getting the turn on signal from the motherboard. If the PSU is still working you'll be able to hear it come on and see whatever you have connected to it power up.

millsy888 said:
try this method to test your psu without it being connected to any hardware

http://www.dvhardware.net/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=5

This is a good guide of how to do it. I've never tried it myself, but I'm sure someone else in here will be able to give you some more advice on it if you need it.

PK!

Soldato
This is a good guide of how to do it. I've never tried it myself, but I'm sure someone else in here will be able to give you some more advice on it if you need it.

I test them similar to that. I don't know why he covered it in black tape, but better safe than sorry I suppose.
I generally hook something up to simulate a load (fan would do)

I'm surprised that no one has suggested clearing the CMOS.
Something I always do when given a dead one, and yes it's worked on a few.
Thats problems caused by people who shut off at mains before PC has shut down in some cases.

Failing that, your into the usual stripping down routine.

Soldato
If it's a DFI LanParty NF4 ..

this one

Clear CMOS: When this jumper is set to 2-3 it will clear all contents of the CMOS. This is useful when the system does not boot or after upgrading your BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom