Is a £50 Weight Bench Really That Bad?

Associate
Right come to a decision.

I either spend £50 on a weight bench and some more weights.

or I join the gym which will cost me £20 to join and £20 a month thereafter.

I already have:

40KG of Cast Iron Plates
2 Dumbell Bars
1 EZ Bar
1 Tri-Bar (think thats what it is, the oval one, someone correct me please ). :p

I'm really thinking about spending £50 on a bench, getting a barbell bar for £20 and buying 2 x 10KG plates and keeping doing so as I gain.

Thoughts anyone?

Associate
50 the max you can go to? maybe best to join the gym as a taster, if its a 12 month contract, get the bench.

Was meaning to ask Chong Warrior what he thought of a new bench I got, but it arrived today and its great, its an olympic one, solid as they get, and cost £150, bargain in my books, maybe save up and get one? all depends how much you lift I guess.

If you plan on getting strong (which for some reason I think you do) then its probably best to get a good bench early on, and then buy weights for it, if not youll end up with a bench thats no good for your strength.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I'm looking to get strong and also bulk as well if that makes sense.

I could spend £100 on a bench but that would be the absolute maximum.

The gym I think is a 12 month contract so don't really want to test it.

Any recommendations for £100?

Associate
yeah, lots of them look average, but theres a sticker saying 220lb max :rolleyes:

For £100 the marcy pro one is the one to go for, looks stable, never tried it myself but heard good things, ill find a link to it tommorow if no one beats me too it

Associate
OP
Morba said:
how heavy are you and how heavy can you lift already?

some benches have really crap max weight allowance.

I weight just under 13st which is about 85KG I think or around that figure and I am currently benching around 60KG so thats 135KG

The bench is described as being able to handle 220KG apparantly but I aint so sure. :p

Back
Top Bottom