Trading in shares online

Soldato
With the recent slump on most global stock markets, I would like to capitalise on lower prices and buy a small portfolio of my own pending this weeks activity etc.

I have Bloomberg at home so I have access to real time info etc, but need a recommended company to trade with. I have just been looking at Barclays who charge reasonable fees on trades placed, but the settlement period on UK Equities is trade date plus 10!!!

Anyone else trade online recommend a good site for certificated trading, I am not interested in spread betting?

Thank you

Associate
I use barclays stockbrokers, they seem ok. settlement used to be 3 working days....didn't realise they had boosted it up to 10!

No complaints about their system, pretty easy to use and manage your portfolio in.

Si

Soldato
OP
Its a big gamble but I work in asset management so am constantly aware of market conditions etc, and I believe we are possibly heading towards a bear market so using my novice knowledge would like to capitalise on it if possible as opposed to paying extra to my pension contributions which are all invested into funds anyhow. I am only 26 so would like to take a gamble if it works fine, if it don't I am not going to put in too much anyhow around 2k in UK Equities and just leave it/invest in and out of UK stocks until I get a bit more confident and maybe diverse into other countries like emerging markets where the risks are higher but the returns can be very very good.

Last edited:
Soldato
thepharcyde said:
With the recent slump on most global stock markets, I would like to capitalise on lower prices and buy a small portfolio of my own pending this weeks activity etc.

I have Bloomberg at home so I have access to real time info etc, but need a recommended company to trade with. I have just been looking at Barclays who charge reasonable fees on trades placed, but the settlement period on UK Equities is trade date plus 10!!!

Anyone else trade online recommend a good site for certificated trading, I am not interested in spread betting?

Thank you

are you going to catch a falling knife?

Associate
I recommend etrade. I've been using it since the mid 90's and have nothing but good things to say about them; although I only trade in american securities. I'm not experienced in their UK shares account.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I just use the HSBC share dealing thing that's linked to my online banking.

I've been having similar thoughts lately too, have had some nice little earners in the past and would like some more :)

Associate
silversurfer said:
Just dont invest anything you cant say goodbye to, at least for 10 years. Have a look at the ftse, its barely risen over the last 10 years

True if you don't know what you are doing but nonsense otherwise. Have you taken into account dividends in that calculation or just looked at what it was 10 years ago and what it is now?

Have a look at most of the big blue chip companies share prices over the last ten years and you will see they have gone up.....

Soldato
carvegio said:
True if you don't know what you are doing but nonsense otherwise. Have you taken into account dividends in that calculation or just looked at what it was 10 years ago and what it is now?

Have a look at most of the big blue chip companies share prices over the last ten years and you will see they have gone up.....
Your right, it was the all share I was looking at and over 7 not 10 years. Do you know where to get the average dividend given, Ive seen it somewhere. I presume its not that much more then the average inflation over the period

Back
Top Bottom