• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD X2 4800+

Associate
OP
Jokester said:
The dual core FX chips are essentially the same as the Opteron dual cores with the exception of being fully unlocked multiplier wise.

Jokester

so would i be right in saying an FX chip would be better than an X2?

Alex

edit: Jon, i've not yet looked for prices.... okay if thats the case, i will just get s cheaper 4200+ then, save up for the next upgrade! - it will need a new mobo and everything that goes with it.... it'll b a big one...

Soldato
Sounds like a plan :D

In theory if you didn't need the upgrade that urgently, it would have been worth keeping an eye on the member's market / auction site for a week or so to see if any Toledo's turn up (btw. the 4400+ X2 is a great chip, not far off the 4800+).

However, the stock of 4200+ X2s is definitely limited and getting one later rather than sooner might prove difficult.

So overall, I'd say bite the bullet and grab one now if you can't find anything better at this moment in time.

Jon

Mul

Mul

Associate
I wouldn't spend much time chasing Opteron's. The final runs of these chips all clock the same. They're all toledo's (E6), including the 3800+ and 4200+ and are all LCBxx type steppings, unless it's stock from last year.

Having used both 2x512kb and 2x1024kb chips I can safely say the difference between the two isn't all that big. In my opinion it's way more cost effective to buy the 4200+ or even the 3800+ if overclocking. :)

Associate
OP
Sorted. order placed. a 4200+ it is.

actually, do i need to order hsf for it do you think? would it come with one?

Ahhh, its oem. i need to order one yes? - that is if the one i use currently for my 3200+ isn't good enough? Silence is a priority. then cost. but both are very important.

Alex

Soldato
I tried using the 3700+ stock HSF with my 4400+: not good. Idling 45C and load at 60C. Far too hot.

Stuck an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro on it: idling 35C and load 45-50C. Far better :D

Tcasemax for these chips is 63C, but generally 55C is a good limit to stick to.

For around £20 with some cooling paste it won't break the bank. A lot of people say it's not all that good, and to go for a Tuniq Tower etc. That's up to you, of course, but they're more expensive and the Freezer 64 does exactly what I want for about half the price.

The Freezer 64 will also clip straight onto the existing motherboard mounting bracket, installing it took me about five minutes.

Jon

Soldato
That's the one.

Sorry - made a mistake in my previous post. The cooler comes with some TIM pre-applied, no need to buy any more. The pre-applied stuff is perfectly good enough!

Jon

Soldato
just_grass said:
Am I being thick? or perhaps jus plain dense?

I can't find anywhere to buy one from?! (the 2x1mb L2 cache one....)

I'm looking for one for my MSI Neo4 Platinum....

...Thinking a perfect upgrade to the fastest (affordable) CPU the board can take, to replace my AMD Athlon Xp 3200+....

It is released in the Uk isn't it!?

If it is, any tips on where to buy from? (again, i can't see ocuk stocking it?!)

Alex...

Now, no-one else has posted this so maybe i'm wrong but i thought athlon xp was socket A only ?

Soldato
Good stuff :D

You'll see a lovely boost with that new CPU. When I installed this 4400+ after using the 3700+ for a year, the increase in general Windows "responsiveness" really impressed me.

Until more programs are multi-threaded, the main area these chips come into their own is multitasking. But it's well worth it, you won't regret it :)

Jon

Mul

Mul

Associate
I noticed that but ignored it when he mentioned he has a Neo 4 Platinum Motherboard which is nForce 4 Ultra and Socket 939. :)

Soldato
mame said:
Now, no-one else has posted this so maybe i'm wrong but i thought athlon xp was socket A only ?

I never noticed that. I assume it's a typo though. Seeing as the OP is looking for a socket 939 chip, I assume he's checked the socket and needs a 939!

Jon

Associate
OP
mame said:

Well my current cpu is 939, xp's were also in 754 as well till they were made obselete... correct me if i'm wrong here.... it has been a while.

but yes more responsiveness will be greatly appreciated! i usually sit here watching tele on ma pc, and do other stuff too, some encoding too, kinda loads the cpu, so hopefully, will be verrrry happy with what it'll give me!

Thanks for everyones help!

Alex :D

Don
Socket A, come to think of it, some XP based chips did appear on S754 if I remember correctly under the value chip moniker (Duron?).

Jokester

Edit: Low end early on S754 Sempron's I think it was.

Mul

Mul

Associate
Jokester said:
Socket A, come to think of it, some XP based chips did appear on S754 if I remember correctly under the value chip moniker (Duron?).

Jokester

Edit: Low end early on S754 Sempron's I think it was.

I think so. It was before the 130nm Paris core sempron. Dublin Core I think?

Mul

Back
Top Bottom