Perseid Meteors - anybody seen any yet?

Suspended
Anybody any decent stargazing/skywatching websites?

I usually find out about this kind of thing when its too late.

Ive just spent 30 mins watching the sky and noticed about 15-20 streaks across the sky, several where very bright as well.

Associate
Just seen a load. Breathtaking IMO, just to think what goes on around us. I've lived through the eclipse as well, such strange yet natural occurances.

Soldato
I'm in the wollaton area of Nottingham and just been sat outside for about 20 min and seen 3, one of them very big. Awesome sight and very relaxing staring at all the stars up there. Think I'll go back out again now!!

Suspended
I live in a average sized town, cant see anything out the front but out the back it was so clear.

A bit of cloud in the distance, but none overhead.

I just stood there looking up, I swear I could see light patches in the sky where the milkyway runs. I couldnt be bothered to fetch my telescope, may set it up for tomorrow though.

But standing there looking up at the stars like i used to for hours as a kid just makes you feel so...im not even sure how to put it.

Soldato
MNuTz said:
But standing there looking up at the stars like i used to for hours as a kid just makes you feel so...im not even sure how to put it.

LOL, yeah hard to describe but I totaly know what you mean.

Suspended
churned said:
Nostalgic?

N·ostal·gi·a (n-stlj, n-)
n.
1. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
2. The condition of being homesick; homesickness.

No matey, I don't long for how it used to be, the stars are just as amazing now as they ever where!

Its more of like 'being at one with everything'.

Soldato
Can't see a thing here :(

Lovely clear night but not a single meteor.

starsxg0.jpg

Soldato
MNuTz said:
I swear I could see light patches in the sky where the milkyway runs.

I thought this too, can anyone confirm?

I didn't realise if it was actually possible to from the uk, especially considering the sort of light pollution you get in most places.

Raikiri said:
Can't see a thing here :(

Lovely clear night but not a single meteor.

Wow amazing contrast, clarity and detail in that image, what setup do you use to take something like that?

Would be nice to see more higher resolution ones if you have any? :)

Soldato
Radiation said:

I didn't realise if it was actually possible to from the uk, especially considering the sort of light pollution you get in most places.

I saw something similar, a faint light patch that was oblong in shape, but I thought it might be my eyes playing tricks.

Is it gonna be possible to see again tonight? Might venture out better prepared this time. Last night we didn't even take a torch :D

Associate
Perfect night for me last night and i saw plenty. It was actually really nice sat outside on the reclining garden chair with a citronella lantern to keep the bugs away and a coffee, i could just reflect on my life and chill.

Permabanned
Radiation said:

Easily possible should you be somewhere dark enough like Salisbury plain or something.

Radiation said:
Wow amazing contrast, clarity and detail in that image, what setup do you use to take something like that?

Would be nice to see more higher resolution ones if you have any? :)

He used a Fuji S5600 with the following setting:
Camera Make: FUJIFILM
Camera Model: FinePix S5600
Exposure Time: 15.000 s
Aperture: f/3.6
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Mode: Manual

Perfectly decent, affordable camera. Will allow those with the abilities to take shots like that, it won't do it itself :p

Conscript said:
I saw something similar, a faint light patch that was oblong in shape, but I thought it might be my eyes playing tricks.

Is it gonna be possible to see again tonight? Might venture out better prepared this time. Last night we didn't even take a torch :D

Meteor shower lasts until the 14th, not sure how that's measured but it'll be around tonight and maybe tomorrow night too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom