Nightwish's new album - Dark Passion Play

Soldato
Just heard the promo version of the new Nightwish due for official release in approximately a month, after being told by a mate it was now available. (Oddly right around the time the Amaranth video has gone out).

Have to admit, some of the tracks on it seem pretty good, I'm looking forward to the album's release in September, the new singer is certainly very different from Tarja, but that was to be expected, and despite what some of the rabid Tarja fans would have you believe, she actually has a pretty good voice. From the Amaranth video, she also seems more energetic/lively than Tarja, who always seemed to focus on imposing, strong poses in the older videos, but always seemed very 'immobile' for it.

Given an album or two, she just may grown into the role :)

Amaranth (catchy chorus!), Last of the Wilds and 7 Days of the Wolves being highlights for me so far, although others may grow on me :)

There also seems to be a lot of leanings towards ambient sound and background atmosphere to lend 'airs' to songs on this album.

Anyone else heard the promo album, and looking forward to/got an opinion on it?

Please note, I am not saying anyone should go and download this promo album, and not buy the actual release if they like it, if nothing else, the actual release will be worth it for not having the promo voice interludes in songs!

Last edited:
Suspended
I really like Within Temptation but never liked the lead singer of Nightwish... she just sounded whiny. Might check this out if shes been given the boot :p

Soldato
OP
Noxis said:
I really like Within Temptation but never liked the lead singer of Nightwish... she just sounded whiny. Might check this out if shes been given the boot :p

They fired her [Tarja] about 2 years ago, after they believed her musical opinions and desires no longer ran in line with those of the band, although she was technically a guest performer all along, and wasnt involved in writing any of the music.

Anette Olzen was announced as the replacement recently and this is her first album with them. She seems to have a slightly more energetic, metal female style (non growl) voice, compared to Tarja's often operatic style. She still has a strong voice, and doesnt seem to be quite as hard/mood dependant to listen to as Tarja's singing could be, so far.

I suppose you could say Anette's voice is somewhere between Amy Lee of Evanescence and Sharon Den Adel of Within Temptation, with a touch of hardness the others dont have. Thats just my personal take on her voice though, and is just initial impression :)

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
I won't be hearing it till the final release without voiceovers is available. I'm in no rush, though I will say that Anette has far more charisma than Tarja could ever hope to have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom