I cheated and discovered many people are stupid

Soldato
Well today I cheated on OcUK - I looked at many other forums.

I was searching for a new phone so looking at forums for reviews, common faults etc.

I was shocked at the english people were using. i get annoyed on this forum when people say brought instead of bought.
Other forums it was -
loose instead of lose
fort instead of thought
"in your near" means in local to you
I could go on...

I spent more time decoding what they were writing rather than reading it. I actually thought i'd stumbled onto a foreign forum the english was so bad.

I've heard of text language ruining english, I never thought it true. People are just writing either phonetically like a 6yr old japanese girl on holiday in England, or cutting their words down till they have no meaning.

We make fun of the Americans for their stupid spellings, but from what IU've seen today it seems like we have more of a problem.

Also the "immigrants" argument. "Them lot" coming here unable to speak the language. My God people some brought up here, EDUCATED here seem to be the real problem.

Think everyone should be forced to take an english test. If they fail...burn them at the stake. :D

Soldato
rossyl said:
loose instead of lose

A pet peeve of mine, you would not believe how many people get this wrong. I spend a fair bit of time in bodybuilding and lifting forums... so the word comes up a LOT!

Another one being
"could/should/would have" instead of "could/should/would HAVE"

Soldato
oddjob62 said:
A pet peeve of mine, you would not believe how many people get this wrong. I spend a fair bit of time in bodybuilding and lifting forums... so the word comes up a LOT!

I remember back in year 7 when we were given the arduous task of designing a poster promoting the use of safety goggles. As I recall my slogan was something like, "Use goggles, or you could lose your sight".

My science teacher changed it to loose and marked me down from 100% for poor spelling :(. That is the source of all my problems since then, including my life-wrecking phobia of goggles.

Soldato
It depends on the forum. A mobile phone forum probably has quite a few users who are still in school, so don't expect top grade english. :p

I've found other forums with a older age range are often better - some car forums for example. :)

Caporegime
rossyl said:
Well today I cheated on OcUK - I looked at many other forums.

I was searching for a new phone and so was looking at forums for reviews, common faults comma here etc.

I was shocked at the english English people were using. i I get annoyed on this forum when people say brought instead of bought.
On Other other forums it was -
loose instead of lose
fort instead of thought
"in your near" means in<--this "in" is incorrect local to you
I could go on...please don't

I spent more time decoding what they were writing rather than reading it. I actually thought i'd I'd stumbled onto a foreign forum the english English was so bad.

I've heard of text language ruining english English, I never thought it true. People are just writing either phonetically like a 6yr couldn't be arsed to type "six year"?! old japanese girl on holiday in England, or cutting their words down till what has a cash register got to do with this? they have no meaning.

We make fun of the Americans for their stupid spellings, but from what IU've I've seen today it seems like we have more of a problem.

Also the "immigrants" argument. "Them lot" coming here unable to speak the language. My God people some brought up here, EDUCATED here seem to be the real problem.what? as previously said

I Think think everyone should be forced to take an english English test. If they fail...burn them at the stake. :D

I'm sure there are others. And lol @ Noxis.

Soldato
The thing that amazes me is the incorrect use of the apostrophe. I see it being used incorrectly all the time, even in adverts and articles in respected magazines. Some examples

DVD's & CD's - should be DVDs & CDs

I was born in the 80's should be '80s

I recon at least 1/3 of acronyms are written with incorrect apostrophes and at least 3/4 of shortened dates are written wrong, I see it everywhere, clothes, billboards (saw a massive sign advertising Corsa's and Vectra's the other day) and people on here were talking about tattoo's.

And don't get me started on plural possessives!

Soldato
oddjob62 said:
A pet peeve of mine, you would not believe how many people get this wrong.

I am guilty(well used to be) of spelling lose incorrectly. If i had my way I would change the spelling to loose, just seems to make more sense to me

I also like to spell neck with a k

Do i win a golden star?

Permabanned
ScarySquirrel said:
Your and You're is the worst.

Oh no, bought and brought are the worst in my opinion. That and people substituting 'S' for 'Z'!

Then again, the whole retarded chav language of ****tard is is just plain wrong anyway!

Back
Top Bottom