what diesel?

Suspended
What car would you recommend for serious high mileage driving? town, A road and motorway.

Must be comfortable, very reliable, be relatively cheap to maintain and insure, look smart yet not cost a fortune.

Second hand suggestions preferable, 5 years and under, no real budget yet as that will depend on the suggestion that come across.

Soldato
[fox only] do you think i am an arse?

been dying to do a Sam joke for ages :( , and it was crap when it came

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be looking at Mondeo TDCi 130, Passat TDI 130 or Octavia TDI 130.

Passat or Mondeo would be the prefered option but Octavia is worth a mention but it would have to be an Elegance as minimum, preferably an L&K.

Last edited:
Soldato
I often drive up to Scotland and back from the South Coast. I thought 'oh gosh must get one with the best fuel economy'. I think you have to go beyond that. If you really are doing high miles, the most important things are:

Safety, Seat Comfort, refinement.

Soldato
I would have thought any modern diesel with good reliabilty will do..

Mondeo
Passat
Octavia
Vectra

All have similar running/depreciation etc I think it depends on what toys and what you like..

Soldato
If you want cheap motoring with a little bit of space, Octavia TDI is the way to go.

If you care about your image, then Audi A4 is the way to go. Quite nice to drive, but quite badly specced and expensive when compared to mondeo etc.

If you enjoy driving and want to have the best of both worlds, but can stomach higher maintenance costs, then a 320d Sport is a great choice.

Associate
MNuTz said:
What car would you recommend for serious high mileage driving? town, A road and motorway.

Must be comfortable, very reliable, be relatively cheap to maintain and insure, look smart yet not cost a fortune.

Second hand suggestions preferable, 5 years and under, no real budget yet as that will depend on the suggestion that come across.

What do you class as high milage? Do you have a family you need to transport?

I've just been in the same situation myself (drive 30K miles a year) and bought myself a 11 month old BMW 120D with 8K on the clock. Why the 1 series.... well for 95% of the time it will just be me in the car and didn't fancy a large car... and with a 0-60 time half a second slower then a Golf GTI it ticked all the right boxes.

Suspended
OP
Its actually for a friend, he seems rather secretive about its use, i think it has something to do with a business opportunity.

High mileage would be anywhere from 100-300 miles per day, 4-6 days per week, so roughly 20K-90k a year :eek: :eek:

its only going to be him for the majority of the time and maybe an adult passenger.

Caporegime
MNuTz said:
Its actually for a friend, he seems rather secretive about its use, i think it has something to do with a business opportunity.

High mileage would be anywhere from 100-300 miles per day, 4-6 days per week, so roughly 20K-90k a year :eek: :eek:

its only going to be him for the majority of the time and maybe an adult passenger.

1, 3 or 5 or, even a 7 with "30d" after the first number. :)

Hmm, not sure if they do a 130d! Shame if they don't! :o

The 120d , 320d etc are not bad either. :)

Associate
R124/LA420 said:
1, 3 or 5 or, even a 7 with "30d" after the first number. :)

Hmm, not sure if they do a 130d! Shame if they don't! :o

The 120d , 320d etc are not bad either. :)

I pick up my 120D later this week. 160 odd BHP in a small car is plenty for me especially as it can be easily chipped to 200BHP. I wouldn't be surprised if a 130D is released in the future. Only problem with the 120D is the cost... not the cheapest car on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom