PC Won't Turn Off

Associate
This has been going on for a while now and it's starting to annoy me.
Sometimes when I shut down my computer, it will get to the Windows is shutting down screen and it will just stay there for hours and the only way to get it to turn off is to reset and press the power button when its on the POST screen. Also, less frequently when I press shutdown it will just go back to the desktop and won't start the shutdown process at all.
Please help as it's frustrating me

Thanks

frying_pan_cat

Associate
Sounds stupid but sometimes windows updates install when the PC shuts down...

This could be happing without you knowing...

Happend to someone i know the other day.

Try turning off automatic updates...

Associate
OP
Just had another thought, I did notice that on my old rig it did have some issues when shutting down just after closing winamp, but not every time and it doesn't just happen after I've used winamp so I don't know if that's just a coincidence.

Edit: And I've just checked updates and they're on download but notify before installing so I don't know if thats the issue as it should tell me before it installs them shouldn't it?

Associate
I used to have the same problem but it only used to happen some times. So not sure why. :confused:

But now it doesn't. :)

But it could be a virus or spyware as I mine hasn't done it after I got Spyware Doctor.

Associate
Do you think it could be one program that you use as you said it happened on your old rig which is not shutting down properly with windows?

Also you could try resetting your bois settings, incase there is something dodgy there.

Associate
try this in regedit,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
modify these keys,

WaitToKillAppTimeout - 4000

HungAppTimeout - 4000

AutoEndTasks - 1

hope this helps m8 ;)

Associate
Sounds stupid but sometimes windows updates install when the PC shuts down...

I had that for ages, couldnt work out why it was always trying to update and seemingly failed.

Turned out to be a 750mb update to Visual Studio 2005, suddenly realised why my internet speeds were getting so slow :p

Back
Top Bottom