Plug power in and pc turns on auto.. (Help)

Associate
This happened a while ago and a new PSU fixed the problem, but just moved all my stuff to a new case and again the following happens :(

Plug power cord into the back of the PSU (tried 2 different ones so that doesnt seem to be the problem) and the CPU/Case/Gfx all start up, but nothing appears on screen.

I have took everything back out, tried it without DVD drives/HDD drives etc, totally barebones.

I have an idea it may be the motherboard shorting out or something - so I took the motherboard out, (ASRock coredual) checked all the case/motherboard risers (forgot name something) as some were loose, spinning when i screwed the screws in out.

Stuck.. to be honest, really thought the last bit would fix it.

Soldato
I'd say its the motherboard from personal experience.

i have 3 dead ones under my bed. all exactly the same thing, odd thing is they never shared any components but failed within a day of each other. all i can think is that i must have tried to boot the others with the same psu but I'm sure i didn't :(

anyway, yeah id put a lot of money on it being the mobo

all msi boards btw :(

sorry dude

ta

alec

Associate
OP
allllec said:
I'd say its the motherboard from personal experience.

i have 3 dead ones under my bed. all exactly the same thing, odd thing is they never shared any components but failed within a day of each other. all i can think is that i must have tried to boot the others with the same psu but I'm sure i didn't :(

anyway, yeah id put a lot of money on it being the mobo

all msi boards btw :(

sorry dude

ta

alec

You really think I could have killed a motherboard in the space of swapping it from one case to another? I thought I did everything safe :confused:

Soldato
well if you put it that way.. no :p but its just from my experience those symptoms mean dead board. i mean its a gable so if there's anyway you can test with another board before buying a new one id recommend you do that

Associate
So you pop in the power lead and hear all the drives etc spinning up, then it all goes off?

What happens if you then hit the power switch ?

When I apply power to my PSU (with MSI P35 NEO Mobo ) the same happens, I then hit power switch and the machine begins to POST and boot. I have used this board a few times and it always does it.

Associate
try removing all the connectors except the power to the motherboard, unplug drives , fans (not CPU fan!) LED's , reset switch etc.

If it still does it, remove the motherboard from the case, and use those little cardboard spacers on the screws holding the motherboard down. It sounds like a short, I'm thinking a incorrectly grounded switch/LED/button, or a short near one of the holding screws.

Associate
OP
ih8modem said:
try removing all the connectors except the power to the motherboard, unplug drives , fans (not CPU fan!) LED's , reset switch etc.

If it still does it, remove the motherboard from the case, and use those little cardboard spacers on the screws holding the motherboard down. It sounds like a short, I'm thinking a incorrectly grounded switch/LED/button, or a short near one of the holding screws.

More than willing to try the above, just a little confused as to what you mean by "little cardboard spacers" :D

Also I have unplugged everything except the 12 + 4pin and of course, the GFX power.

Associate
ih8modem said:

Could be that or i dunno if you've tried some jumper settings near the power ...

Associate
OP
After a long time trying different things I'm now at the point where I can plug the power lead in, and nothing spins.. but even worse, I cant get anything to spin when pressing the case power on button. I even tried hooking the motherboard to the other cases powerswitch lead.

So.. ummm, I've either killed the motherboard or there's something I'm not seeing, tomorrow I'll put everything back in the first case and go from there, unfortunately I can see a motherboard RMA on my hands :(

Associate
Mikharper said:
More than willing to try the above, just a little confused as to what you mean by "little cardboard spacers" :D

Also I have unplugged everything except the 12 + 4pin and of course, the GFX power.

with most cases and motherboards you get little red or black carboard rings, they can be used to put between the screw head the and the surface of the motherboard to insulate.

Back
Top Bottom