Any rock climbers here?

Soldato
Just about to arrange a taster session at Craggy Island (Guildford) with a possible Spanish activity holiday that has a day of rock climbing later.

Just interested if there's any rock climbers lurking here :D

Soldato
I'd imagine there's quite a few, I used to climb pretty much every week but haven't as much in the last year or so. Got a housemate moving in who's a climber, so bring on September. \o/ :)

Associate
Yeah I climb about 4 times a week, norwich isnt exactly the heart of england for climbing however. If your going to spain then I would imagine that you will be doing sport climbing. How long till the holiday?

Craggy island is a wicked wall to learn on. Good luck.

Soldato
Never tried it myself, but indoor climbing is something I'd definately like to try at some point. A great challenge and a great thrill I can imagine.

Soldato
I'm going to resurrect this as I'm planning to do some climbing at Craggy Island in the near future with a view of trying to go every week. Is it suitable for a novice like myself? If I go there will there be people I can talk to about any equipment I should maybe look to get myself after a few sessions?

Soldato
I'm going to resurrect this as I'm planning to do some climbing at Craggy Island in the near future with a view of trying to go every week. Is it suitable for a novice like myself? If I go there will there be people I can talk to about any equipment I should maybe look to get myself after a few sessions?

What to buy:

Indoor:
Climbing shoes
Harness (Optional)
Belay Plate (Optional)
Chalk/bag
Climbing clothes if you want to fit in (I'd advise against, climbers don't have the best taste in clothes)

Outside (assumes you have all the above):
Helmet (Sometimes optional, depends on whether you're the 'safety first' type)
Approach shoes
Small-medium rucksack
Clothes (Seriously, climbers wear the same clothes like clones) :rolleyes:

Outside leading (in order of importance):
Rope
Set of nuts
Hexs
Cams

Alpine:
Crampons
Mountain boots
Alpine axe

Ice climbing:
2x Technichal axes

Off the top of my head, thats all the kit you'll ever need for most things. My advice would be to get a taster in and see if you like the people there.

Associate
ice climbing is soo much fun, I did a taster up at ice factor :)

So did I. I was tempted to have a go on their articulated wall, but I didn't have time as we were just passing through Kinlochleven with a train to catch.

I mostly climb indoors at Ratho or Alien Rock in Edinburgh. Ratho is amazing, but it's absolutely freezing at the moment - Alien Rock has better heaters so wins my vote at the moment.

I've not been for a month or so, but am setting myself the goal of climbing to 6b consistent this year - last year my target was 6a, and I'm pretty much there.

Caporegime
Haven't climbed in a while - there just aren't the facilities here in Cambridge (although that may be changing soon as a group of friends of mine are getting a business plan together!).

Love climbing though.

Soldato
OP
Blimey - holy thread revival.

I did indeed go on the Spanish activity holiday. Rock climbing, caving, canyoning etc all in the lovely Picos de Europa region.
Rock climbing outdoors was fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom