Traffic light GP in a FWD car- whats your technique

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I just try and roll up to a red light without stopping so it will change without my need to stop, therefore backing up Simons theory.

Associate
Dup said:
I just try and roll up to a red light without stopping so it will change without my need to stop, therefore backing up Simons theory.

I do the same. With a 1.4 and your rolling, you can easily overtake bigger cars before they even know whats going on :cool:

Caporegime
Definately the best, proven to work at Santa pod too.

On a pretty standard Rover Turbo with a few mods (about 213hp) I am one of the only people to have got a Sub 14sec quarter mile (13.9@100mph).

Soldato
Matt82 said:
there are other ways to deal with people like that.

on the saturday night just gone, i had some plum in a tarted up c-class merc about 2 inches from my rear bumper on a 50mph dual carriageway.

i pulled over to let him past (ie was 2am, dark, he could have been a copper).

when i moved over he passed slowly which really winds me up, so i parked mine on his rear bumper also.

the muppet then tries to speed off, weaving in and out of traffic. he doesnt get far and is still just in front of me as we go onto the next round about... so i followed him real close again.. pushing him a bit faster and and bit faster again.

.... eventually he spun in a near piroette, but hit nothing.

with a bit of luck thatll teach him for driving too fast and driving like a plum
...or you could just ignore them? :confused:

Maybe it's an age thing but "traffic light GPs" (lol Fast & Furious) and racing around on the road seem a bit immature regardless of the cars involved.

When I had my Skyline there was nothing I enjoyed more than letting the random cretins who sat on my arse wanting me to either boot it, or "race" or whatever just stew. I just let them overtake me and didn't even bother reacting in any way.

Man of Honour
Matt82 said:
so i followed him real close again.. pushing him a bit faster and and bit faster again.

.... eventually he spun in a near piroette, but hit nothing.

You do realise had he hit something - or worse, someone - you could have been facing serious charges?

He was a moron but you were reckless and downright dangerous. Just leave morons like this to themselves.

Soldato
Luke15 said:
I do the same. With a 1.4 and your rolling, you can easily overtake bigger cars before they even know whats going on :cool:

But then as soon as the faster car is rolling, they'll just go sailing by before you know it :p

Soldato
I find the best way in mine is to hold the handbrake on and have the clutch load up the transmission just under the main bite point with the revs around 2k, lights go green let go of the handbrake, foot off clutch and floor it I get zero wheelspin. Not the best for the clutch but I find this gives a perfect start.

Or with 4wd 5-6k and dump the clutch. I always liked the Evo article where they said they got the times for an RS4 by reving it to the limiter and dumping the clutch can't be good for the transmission/clutch though.

Caporegime
cymatty said:
Buy a car with a proper drivetrain. ;)

Backs out of thread before I am shot. :o

I honestly don't think the S2000 is any easier to launch, infact i reckon its easier in a fwd.

Rwd bog down or clutch slip too easy.

Soldato
Simon said:
I honestly don't think the S2000 is any easier to launch, infact i reckon its easier in a fwd.

Would have to agree on that one. I find it hard to get a good start in the Dolomite compared to the Focus.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Simon said:

Indeed, I find it pretty easy to launch the 'teg. 4-5k, smoothly let clutch out to get the car rolling, once rolling smoothly let clutch all the way out whilst smoothly flooring the throttle.

In the RX7 it would either bog-down or wheelspin and do an impromptue burnout.

Scooby was easy when I had the Exedy clutch 6-7k rpm, dump clutch, hold on for dear life :D

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
You do realise had he hit something - or worse, someone - you could have been facing serious charges?

He was a moron but you were reckless and downright dangerous. Just leave morons like this to themselves.

id highly doubt id cop any stick for that. i didnt touch him, there wasnt even a start to a chain of causation leading to me

Soldato
the other week i was owned by a RAV4 on a damp slip road lol

we were sat next to each other at the lights, he floored it from the off, when i realised he had floored it i did the same when i already had the clutch up and had got moving. mine spun up in 1st and 2nd, by the end of the slip road i was getting to the top of 3rd by the end of the slip road but hed pulled enough of a gap for me to get past.

4wd *** in the wet lol

Associate
In my current car, a Primera with 100bhp, I just keep the clutch at biting point with the handbrake on. As soon as the lights go green, bring the revs up to 3000rpm, release handbrake, dump clutch, floor throttle. Barely a chirp from the tyres, then slam it into second as fast as humanly possible :)

I still loose most of the time :mad:

On the other hand, my old Mondeo which had significantly less traction than the Primera, and no low down torque whatsoever I had to slip the clutch till it was rolling at a reasonable speed, then feed in the power as it would wheelspin so easily.

I once let off the clutch hard shifting into 3rd at about 50 in the wet and lost traction momentarily... I never knew 115bhp could cause such traction problems

Soldato
I used to bury my foot deep in the carpet, but this is bad for a few reasons...

12psi going through the front wheels = wheelspin
12psi going through the gearbox = sheared diff and knackered bearings

Making light use of the throttle in first gear allows me to get brisk acceleration (probably just as quick as flooring it due to no wheel spin) and I don't damage the gearbox by doing so.

Then drop it into 2nd gear at around 5000rpm and plant my foot. Good fun.

Back
Top Bottom