Job Application: 'Sexual Orientation'

Associate
So I was filling out an application form for an IT Netwoking job, when something just annoyed me.

In the section marked 'equality and diversity' it has all the usual ethnic origin stuff, then a part marked Sexual orientation.

Are you: Hetrosexual, Gay man, Lesbian, Bi-sexual

Well excuse me but W-T-F has it got to do with you? :mad:
I can't see how that is in any way relevant to the job application or why they would want to know.

Is this normal nowadays?

I'm tempted to tick the Lesbian box (pardon the pun) and see if it guarantees me an interview!

Man of Honour
Yep it's normal. That page has nothing to do with your application. It's just a way of showing the goverment that they have hired x number of ethnics, x number of gays etc.

Soldato
Exceedingly common, particularly in public sector employment.

If you are a muslim lesbian loving bi-sexual hermaphroditic pre-op transexual from outer mongolia you are virtually guaranteed a job in the public sector.

They have quotas to meet you know.

Soldato
It's for research purposes... normally it gets separated from the rest of your application and it's only the HR people that collate the data on people's preferences. I believe it's still illegal to base a decision on whether to proceed with an application on a person's sexual choices.

Soldato
AcidHell2 said:
That page has nothing to do with your application. It's just a way of showing the goverment that they have hired x number of ethnics, x number of gays etc.

Those two sentences sort of contradict each other. :p

Soldato
GarethDW said:
It's for research purposes... normally it gets separated from the rest of your application and it's only the HR people that collate the data on people's preferences. I believe it's still illegal to base a decision on whether to proceed with an application on a person's sexual choices.

unless its the police force.

KaHn

Soldato
Positive Discrimination.

Tick all of them, help out a little. If questioned say you believe you are gay as you like men, lesbian as you like women and sometimes feel a bit womanly, bi as you sometimes like both, and hetero as you like women when you feel manly. Then, if they have a go - claim discrimination.

Soldato
I have a hunch I got my current job (been in it for 9 months now I think) because I ticked 'homosexual' in sexual orientation, which is a lie.

Man of Honour
Digital Punk said:
Its already stated that anyone who's disabled and meets the criteria set will be guaranteed an interview. :mad:
Yep that sucks, but it shouldn't have any relation with who they hire. Only that they are guaranteed an interview. In reality, they have quotas to fill. So It depends how low they are.

Associate
Digital Punk said:
Yes exactly.

Its already stated that anyone who's disabled and meets the criteria set will be guaranteed an interview. :mad:
I imagine if you're able bodied and meet the set criteria you're also guaranteed an interview - hence "criteria".

Associate
OP
Volcs said:
I imagine if you're able bodied and meet the set criteria you're also guaranteed an interview - hence "criteria".
Maybe, maybe not.
I guess it depends on how many white able-bodied straight males apply.
If the quotas full, then suitable candidates may miss out.

I know they have to meet quotas on disabled and ethnic minorities (even if I don't agree with that) but if sexual preference is being included, then I think thats a step too far.

Associate
Digital Punk said:
Maybe, maybe not.
I guess it depends on how many white able-bodied straight males apply.
If the quotas full, then suitable candidates may miss out.

I know they have to meet quotas on disabled and ethnic minorities (even if I don't agree with that) but if sexual preference is being included, then I think thats a step too far.
What company is this that admits to having quotas for these things?

It's generally accepted that companies try to promote diversity so may encourage applications from people outside the "white-straight-male" bracket, but none I know of, (and this may be different in the public sector) have quotas to fill.

Man of Honour
PsiFox said:
Exceedingly common, particularly in public sector employment.

If you are a muslim lesbian loving bi-sexual hermaphroditic pre-op transexual from outer mongolia you are virtually guaranteed a job in the public sector.

They have quotas to meet you know.

Absolute rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom