360 scratching discs or not?

Soldato
I recently bought gears of war for my (3day old) 360 and so I put it in started to play, and when it started the opening campaign video it came up with a message saying "this disc is unreadable....."

Anyway so I eject it and low and behold there are massive perfectly circular scratches on the disc. "BUMMER" I thought (well worse than that but still), and I then remembered that:

1. it hadn't happened to any other game i've been playing on it before (TDU and Forza 2).

and 2. that i neglected to look at the bottom of the disc before i shoved it in the xbox excitedly.

Now I'm not sure whether it was scratched when i bought it or whether my 360 did it, but my hunch is that it was already scratched when purchased.

Would a 360 scratch one disc and not another?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

..did you move or bang the console while the disc was in the DVD tray?

Also, did you buy the game new or pre-owned?

Soldato
OP
It hasn't moved since I set it up when I bought it and it hasn't done it to any other disc since.

Also I bought it new, but when I was In ****, they took a box off the shelf and the disc and manual were in a separate draw and was completely unsealed. But when I got forza 2 from the same shop it was in it's plastic seal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Take it back to the shop (might want to remove the competitor name), and see if they'll swap it.

Explain you had a game that wasn't sealed, and it was scratched when you had it.

I doubt you'll get anywhere but it's worth asking them to exchange it :cool:

Soldato
Get it swapped. If it happens again get a new console. Exactly the same has happened to 2copies of Forza so far and I only bought the xbox360 on Saturday. It's a pretty major failing with the console so make sure you don't get stuck with a duff one.

Associate
got the same problem, however my game was preowned

dont have the reciept as i paid on my card, and i threw it away as it had my details on it, however still has the 12.99 or 2 for 20 quid sticker on the front from said games shop

any idea if i could blag a swap?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Efaws said:
got the same problem, however my game was preowned

dont have the reciept as i paid on my card, and i threw it away as it had my details on it, however still has the 12.99 or 2 for 20 quid sticker on the front from said games shop

any idea if i could blag a swap?
A bank statement highlighting the purchase is enough to prove you bought it from them.

You shouldn't have any trouble :)

Associate
Ive just played gears of war for the first time in about 2 months and I got the same error. Took the disc out and low and behold I found 2 perfectly circular scratches on the disc near the edge. Ive had the game about 8 months and its just happened. I've never moved my console from the flat position. It takes the **** if this happens if you just jog the console when its running. How many people havnt jogged it even a little when playing at one time or another. What can I do about this. The disc doesnt work properly now, doors dont open when they are supposed to and you are left replaying the same scene until you get lucky and it works.

Will the shop I bought it from or microsoft replace it?

Associate
So I have to pay MS about £15 to replace a game that has got ruined because of a design flaw in their console? Im not stupid enough to move my console while a game is in the drive or its on so it must have happened another way. This is a bit of a joke. It seems like everyone has had a bad experience with the 360 one way or another.

Associate
DJLOREY said:
A bank statement highlighting the purchase is enough to prove you bought it from them.

You shouldn't have any trouble :)

This is true

Ive never actually played the game (it did make a weird noise while loading up the first time) so im not sure if the disk was already scratched and it couldnt read it, or it was scratching the disk, either way i havnt played it!

Any idea what a certain game shop would say (the one by the station*)? as i could get my credit card bill, however bought the game over a month ago (rumble roses xx :p ) so havnt felt a desire to play it was just making up a 2 for 20 deal. *hint hint

Back
Top Bottom