whats the general concensus with sudents ?

Soldato
eddiemcgarrigle said:
Jealous of what? Spending several years at Uni in the vain hope of getting a degree and ending up stocking shelves in Tesco? No thanks.

There are some of us that fancy going to Uni to LEARN. I don't care about some Degree title. I know what I want in life, unlike a lot of these 'no good students'.

Soldato
The thing I hate most about students is the fact they're allways bloody whinging about something. Save the rainforests this, end the war that, I just wish they'd stop complaining for once :p

Soldato
Psyk said:
The thing I hate most about students is the fact they're allways bloody whinging about something. Save the rainforests this, end the war that, I just wish they'd stop complaining for once :p

I'm a student and I don't whinge about that!

I whinge about people being presumptive. (touché :p )

Man of Honour
Tru said:
They swan about like they own the place but at the end of the day it is them who are too thick to realise you don't need an education to be successful.

Since we are playing at logical fallacies I'll throw in that sweeping generalisations help everybody and are invariably entirely accurate.

It all depends on how you determine education as to the necessity of it, of course you don't need a degree to be successful in all areas, hard work, inspiration, skill and persistance will be worth a lot more in most careers but some careers are impossible without a degree.

Toryglen-boy said:
whats it like now to be a student? (i was a student 20 years ago!)

Probably much the same as it was back when you were a student except with more students, more courses, more universities and less funding. :)

Associate
I'm a student and I try not to whinge about money when I've been out - I dug my own grave and I get a damn part-time job - even if it is in Argos (which was actually pretty awesome).

On a careers day I was told that there were two ways to go into what I wanted to do (teaching) - one by doing a 4 year teaching degree, and one by doing a degree in your chosen subject and then a one-year course afterwards.
So I have to go to university in order to have the career I've always wanted. I am and always have been aware of the low pay and what the job entails.
It really annoys me that my housemate spends all his money on vodka and red bull, doesn't go to lectures or seminars but has managed to buy his way into his third year. Not all of us are like that and the worst part is that EVERYONE who lives in the nearest housing estate to uni - tacky, falling apart and full of chavs but the most convenient place for us students to live - complain that we're noisy, inconsiderate and messy to the local council and newspapers. They're a minority. Complain about the INDIVIDUALS, for God's sake.

Caporegime
Jonny69 said:
I worked very hard on my degree and did long hours as did nearly everyone else on my course. This is the case with most Engineering degrees. When I used to see 4 hour a week Geography students doing next to nothing all week and getting funded by their parents it used to get my back up a bit. Why are you here?
Thats why I hate some students. The ones doing proper degrees I don't mind. If they muck about and get a poor classification then that will come back to bite them.

The people that really annoy me are the callous ***** who lump all students into the layabout category, and are just jealous because they got a rubbish classification, rubbish degree, or couldn't make it to university.

Permabanned
platypus said:
The people that really annoy me are the callous ***** who lump all students into the layabout category, and are just jealous because they got a rubbish classification, rubbish degree, or couldn't make it to university.

Word.

Permabanned
Scuzi said:
A lot of them do Mickey Mouse degrees whilst getting themselves into tens of thousands of debt only to come out the other end of the sausage machine and get stuck in a dead end job earning £21k a year. Yeah, the prospectus said you'd be earning £10000000000000000 a day but they talk crap.

In short, a lot of students are incredibly stupid.
And they smell.
And they are wasters.

Judging by the spelling, punctuation and grammar skills of degree level students who post on OcUK, I don't hold much hope for the future if those buck eejits are to be considered professionals.

Oh yeah, mature students get on my ****. Especially the ones that have never had a proper job. I hate them.

I <3 You!!!!!

Zom

Zom

Associate
Tru said:
They swan about like they own the place but at the end of the day it is them who are too thick to realise you don't need an education to be successful.
Yeah LOL@ people studying medical degrees etc! OMG what a waste of time.

Soldato
Tru said:

What about if you just want the education? Im studying history, not because I really want to go into a career that requires any historical knowledge, but because I like the subject. It also teaches you certain skills that a lot of other degrees dont.

Man of Honour
eddiemcgarrigle said:
Jealous of what? Spending several years at Uni in the vain hope of getting a degree and ending up stocking shelves in Tesco? No thanks.
I enjoy life at uni whilst improving my knowledge and talents, and 70% of people on my course will have a job lined up before they finish their final year.

Soldato
Scuzi hit the nail on the head. at 18 i had no idea what i wanted to do but the thought of wasting 3 years and a load of cash just seemed stupid. now i have 4 years exp in a job that has a good few options around it. Students who do it to REALLY further themselves i dont mind. I love having uni students come in to my place for training. 23-24 year olds full of bravado because they think they know everything about everything while they have been tucked up in school and think because they have a degree in waffle spinning that they should be on 30k+ a year in their first job. i love knocking them down a few pegs :D

my GF is doing her 3 year diploma in nursing because its what she wants to do for a career instead of to waste a few years. She is passing every exam first time and for her hard work was offered the extra course for her third year. Any student who actually works hard for something they want gets my respect. the other 95% who do it to waste time and think they will get a brilliant job afterwards get nothing.

Caporegime
eddiemcgarrigle said:
Thats right, every body who has a degree stocks shelves in Tesco.

Soldato
Depends what you want to do.

If what you want to do requires a degree (or multiple degrees in my case...) then what choice do we have?

Although i'll agree with you, a lot of students are only there to get drunk etc. Hell I spent the first year of my first degree getting drunk! Its what 18 year olds do when they first cut loose, students just have the fact that they also dont have to be at work for 8:30 every morning bar the weekends on their side :)

It sure is a nice life, but its also over after 3 years and those that didnt try get jack out of it in the longrun, yet still have to pay in the end.

I dont really see where the hostility comes from, students tend to stick to studenty areas, in the same way as ethnic minorities do, or cwertainly thats how it happens in manchester.

if you wanna stay clear of em you dont go into the student areas, simple as that?

Man of Honour
Todge said:
Scuzi hit the nail on the head. at 18 i had no idea what i wanted to do but the thought of wasting 3 years and a load of cash just seemed stupid. now i have 4 years exp in a job that has a good few options around it. Students who do it to REALLY further themselves i dont mind. I love having uni students come in to my place for training. 23-24 year olds full of bravado because they think they know everything about everything while they have been tucked up in school and think because they have a degree in waffle spinning that they should be on 30k+ a year in their first job. i love knocking them down a few pegs :D

my GF is doing her 3 year diploma in nursing because its what she wants to do for a career instead of to waste a few years. She is passing every exam first time and for her hard work was offered the extra course for her third year. Any student who actually works hard for something they want gets my respect. the other 95% who do it to waste time and think they will get a brilliant job afterwards get nothing.
See... I'm mildly worried that I won't have enough "real world" experience to make it in a decent job when I finish uni. I sure as hell know that I don't know everything but I'm doing uni primarily to learn more. The social life and job prospects are an added bonus.

Soldato
Kreeeee said:
See... I'm mildly worried that I won't have enough "real world" experience to make it in a decent job when I finish uni. I sure as hell know that I don't know everything but I'm doing uni primarily to learn more. The social life and job prospects are an added bonus.

i think what you need to remember to have a realistic outlook is that the first job isnt likely to be 30k, its more likely to be between 18 and 25k on a graduate scheme. But once the 18 months or whatever are over that generally leads into a middle rung job within the company rather than a lower rung, with better prospects for moving higher up.

Low end unis really have a lot to answer for with their marketing tbh "choose a uni that sees 95% of its students moving onto further study or a job" which in most peopels minds automatically means "top paying job" it doesnt :) the three years uni cost you COULD have been spent getting to that 30k stage, but within 2 years your likely to be there anyway with better prospects long term.. and you would have missed out on the fun that was uni!

Permabanned
Scuzi said:
A lot of them do Mickey Mouse degrees whilst getting themselves into tens of thousands of debt only to come out the other end of the sausage machine and get stuck in a dead end job earning £21k a year. Yeah, the prospectus said you'd be earning £10000000000000000 a day but they talk crap.

In short, a lot of students are incredibly stupid.
And they smell.
And they are wasters.

Judging by the spelling, punctuation and grammar skills of degree level students who post on OcUK, I don't hold much hope for the future if those buck eejits are to be considered professionals.

Oh yeah, mature students get on my ****. Especially the ones that have never had a proper job. I hate them.

I concur "Media" thats a great course Scuzi, watch TV and DVD's !!

Back
Top Bottom