Multiplier fluctuating on e2160

Associate
Hi,

Not sure if this is normal or not but the multi keeps fluctuating between 9 and 6 in cpu-z for my overclocked e2160. It makes the speed of the thing change between 3 ghz and 2. Im on the vanilla asus p5k. I looked all through the bios to see if I could source the problem but have had no luck.

any help would be appreciated.

ta

Soldato
Read your motherboard manual and CPU tech specs. Its a feature called EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep) and slows down the CPU when its not under load. This feature was meant originally for laptops to help conserve battery power but has since evolved into a general *green* feature.

If everybody's computer had this feature (and had it enabled!) then the amount of electricity saved would be quite something!

a lot of people switch it off so they can be web-browsing at full speed but I have always left it on and not had any problems! :)

Associate
OP
I might just leave it on then to be honest. If it doesnt do any harm constatly changing between the two then why not. Im a student so if it saves me money im all for it.

Cheers for the swift replies. I only got the stuff today and its all gone in at 3ghz stable at default volts so im happy. Its blazingly quick compared to my old 1gb ddr and 3800+ X2 setup.

Permabanned
Yeah i leave it on, i just overclocked to the highest stable speed on stock volts which was 3.15GHz, pretty useful if you ask me especially when not doing anything CPU intensive such as web browsing.

Back
Top Bottom