Uni living expenses

Soldato
OK - well I find it amazing some people buy new computers every year. My 2003 box is still going strong and I plan to get another 3-4 years of life out of it. I guess I just place a high priority on food.
Ahhh, the straw man fallacy. End of discussion.

For example, say you have a couple of people over and are cooking for 4, it is so easy to run up a pretty big bill;

Smoked salmon amuse bouche, melon and parma ham to start with, fillet steak stuffed with gorgonzola and wrapped in pancetta with new pototates and vegetables, followed by St Agur + oatcakes followed by a cheescake type thing for pudding (by this time I am usually too drunk to prepare some food hence why we always end up with ready-made puddings)

1 Scottish Oatcakes Waitrose 0.69
1 Offer Organic Strawberry Ice Cream Waitrose 2.59
2 Frü Three Berry Cheesecake 5.58
1 Royal Tokaji Blue Label 1999 9.99
1 Pancetta Waitrose 1.89
1 Saint Agur 1.98
1 Paltrinieri's Gorgonzola Apicante Waitrose 3.50
4 British Beef Fillet Steak Waitrose 29.59
1 Garlic Infused Olive Oil Waitrose 2.99
1 Bertolli Lucca Olive Oil Spread 1.24
1 Farmhouse Batch - Sliced Wholemeal Bread Waitrose 0.95
1 Farm Assured Reserva Parma Waitrose 3.69
1 Melon Wedges Waitrose 1.99
1 Les Sinard Perrin Chateauneuf 2004 17.00
1 Organic New Potatoes Waitrose 1.99
1 Ghillie & Glen Scottish Smoked Salmon - Oak Smoked 6.69
1 Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Brut NV 28.49
1 La Grille Classic Sauvignon Blanc 2005 6.99

Total £127.82 just for hosting one simple dinner party for 4 people. Even if you only do that once a month I think it makes my point about how much food bills can stack up!
Now you're just having a laugh... been watching Nigella Bites, have you?

Associate
Why is it that seemingly every KB kid has it on for those students who live well in Edinburgh? All the people who moan about 'yahs' etc. It's a forum, people come on here every single day and post about some new computer or new car and people don't say 'oh what a braggard' they say' nice rig/car mate' . Why are people so tetchy about food? This happened the last time I posted about my food budget. I can't understand why people get so annoyed when other people spend more on food than them. I don't get annoyed at all when other people spend more on electrical goods than me, it doesn't bother me at all!

Maybe you don't get annoyed with people posting their new rigs but I don't recall may people on this forum saying things like "I could not believe how much it cost me to build a new rig."
People generally don't start threads saying this is how much a PC WILL cost and then list the most/fairly expensive parts, as this is their preference.
You have posted a thread that was supposed to be a guide to student living and when people called you up on it you got tetchy about your lifestyle.
I know people who work half their week to pay the rent and I know people who get enough money to buy anything they wanted and any of them would think what you do is rediculous.

Soldato
woah that food budget is mad.

When i am saving its Beans on Toast for lunch and chips and egg for tea. Both meal cost well under £1 and taste excellent imho.

Una

Una

Associate
I spend around £70/week on food while I am at uni. I don't however think that this is a normal student thing and I could certainly spend a lot less. You may well budget like that, I know plenty of people who do but posting about it on the internet is not the brightest thing to do. It just looks like showing off.

Soldato
All you people who are going to Uni make sure you read this thread. It shows the type of person you don't want to make friends with. They will make you feel poor and insignificant. Make friends with people who don't want you to drink Veuve, rather a bottle of whatever is the cheapest at the time.

Being a student is meant to be hard living - that's the point, it adds to the experience. Best times I had were going to the local Tesco's with my mates, with hardly any money, and trying to budget for food andbeer. We ended up with 16 cans of some random German beer (DAB or something), 3 big bags of crisps and 2 massive bars of cheap chocolate. We went home, drank beer, ate junk food, watched tv and played games. After this, a lot of friends came round, avec beer, and we had an impromptu house party. Total cost: £4.00 per head.

OP: you are a 'rah'. No doubt.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you just posting to show off how much money you have?
That's what he does in most threads (apart from sometimes looking down his nose at the working class)

Even as a well paid professional in London I never spend £250 a month on food as I cook from scratch myself rather than buying pre processed stuff.
Buying ingredients costs a lot less than bought meals and will generally be a lot better for you.

When I was a student I would never have dreamed of spending more than £100 a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
I totally agree with Vixen here. Normal students do not spend anywhere near that kind of money. This thread is simply you showing off, it doesn't help new students very much. It has probably made them run away and hide.

Permabanned
All you people who are going to Uni make sure you read this thread. It shows the type of person you don't want to make friends with. They will make you feel poor and insignificant. Make friends with people who don't want you to drink Veuve, rather a bottle of whatever is the cheapest at the time.

Being a student is meant to be hard living - that's the point, it adds to the experience. Best times I had were going to the local Tesco's with my mates, with hardly any money, and trying to budget for food andbeer. We ended up with 16 cans of some random German beer (DAB or something), 3 big bags of crisps and 2 massive bars of cheap chocolate. We went home, drank beer, ate junk food, watched food and played games. After this, a lot of friends came round, avec beer, and we had an impromptu house party. Total cost: £4.00 per head.

OP: you are a 'rah'. No doubt.

I wouldn't quite go as far as to judge him personally on his lifestyle choices as I feel that would be unfair and equally as judgemental as he could be of the standard "poor" student's lifestyle. However I do think that this isn't the lifestyle of a student or even of a typical young professional and will therefore be unsustainable in the long term unless he wants to borrow from the Bank of Mum and Dad for the rest of his life.

Man of Honour
I lived off £70/week for everything but rent and fees and did that fine (with loads to spare).

Food for me AND the missus cost about £30-50 a week for 2 of us, and that was buying too much normally.

Pasta - £1 per 2 weeks

Sauce - £1.50 per 4 days.

Soldato
zefan knows the score and still peopel manage with less than that

mates all lived on whatever there saturday job paid a week last year after the loan had covered the halls

i intend to do the same

people on jobseekers live of 45 quid a week so i cant see why students couldn't if they had too

my parents are buying me the essentials like bedding and stuff before i go but they cant afford to pay me money a week or pay for my course or whatever more

makes me feel like a right scummer that somehow people are spending a 800-1000 quid a month of most likely there parents cash :/ . the course ill be doing wont be one where i can work every afternoon and night either , a saturday/sunday job will be the most i can manage and ill have to do it to afford it

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah i'd say that is way over. I spend about 25-30 a week on food (80% takeaways:p) and about 80-100 going out. I can't be bothered to do a full breakdown of my stuff yet as im supposed to be going outside today :)o) but i'd say those figures are a lot higher than most students, especially the foodbill.

Soldato
I get by on hardly anything:

Rent - £62 a week: £244 a month.
Net - £8 a month
Electricity, Gas, Water: £25 a month (bills are sporadic)
Food shopping - £80 a month (at the very most)
I don't think I've ever spent more than £20 a week on food shopping, and I've actually never bought a ready meal/frozen pizza whilst at Uni yet. I usually eat stir frys, different types of pasta (carbonara for the win) steaks etc, realistic food.

Travel - £26 (that's if I buy a day rider every single day, most days I walk into College)

Anyone can go to Uni in my opinion, if they get a Job.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't quite go as far as to judge him personally on his lifestyle choices as I feel that would be unfair and equally as judgemental as he could be of the standard "poor" student's lifestyle. However I do think that this isn't the lifestyle of a student or even of a typical young professional and will therefore be unsustainable in the long term unless he wants to borrow from the Bank of Mum and Dad for the rest of his life.

I'm not judging him on his lifestyle choice - if that's what makes him happy then more power to him. However, to infer that this is a 'typical' student lifestyle is wholly inaccurate and ludicrous.

All I know is that living a lifestyle like the one he suggests will make things harder. I wouldn't be friends with him, and I doubt the people I know would be either. I'm not suggesting that the OP doesn't have mates as I'm sure he does, my point is this: when you first go to Uni you have many choices - one of which is the 'crowd' that you want to hang around with.

I firmly believe that the majority of students would not want to be friends with the OP, solely because of lifestyle choice. I'm not saying he's not a nice guy, but when your friends are living a life on beans and bread why would you brag by buying Waitrose quality products. It's smacks of desperation to be considered the 'rich' one.

Sorry, I've rambled :p

Permabanned
I'm not judging him on his lifestyle choice - if that's what makes him happy then more power to him. However, to infer that this is a 'typical' student lifestyle is wholly inaccurate and ludicrous.

All I know is that living a lifestyle like the one he suggests will make things harder. I wouldn't be friends with him, and I doubt the people I know would be either. I'm not suggesting that the OP doesn't have mates as I'm sure he does, my point is this: when you first go to Uni you have many choices - one of which is the 'crowd' that you want to hang around with.

I firmly believe that the majority of students would not want to be friends with the OP, solely because of lifestyle choice. I'm not saying he's not a nice guy, but when your friends are living a life on beans and bread why would you brag by buying Waitrose quality products. It's smacks of desperation to be considered the 'rich' one.

Sorry, I've rambled :p

No problems, the point I was trying to make was that I wouldn't *not* be friends with someone (like the cunning use of the double negative :p ) just because they happened to have more money than me as long as they understood that I personally couldn't afford their extravagant lifestyle :)

Back
Top Bottom