• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

e2160 running hot?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just built a new pc today with the e2160 cpu. Installed cpu-z and speedfan to take a look at things. I'm not too clued up but I think things are running a little hot. On speedfan I'm getting reads like this on idle:

System: 36C
CPU: 34C
Core 0: 42C
Core 1: 43C

And then running an Orthos Small FFTs test my temps are:

System: 36C
CPU: 54C
Core 0: 65C
Core 1: 66C

I was hoping to overclock the cpu but with these temps I wouldn't dare! I haven't touched anything in bios, this is a clean build, as of today. My mother board is Asus PK5 and my memory is Ballistic 2GB (2x1GB) pc5400. I've got stock intel hsf and a sonata III case.

Any ideas whats going on? Does it have anything to do with the fact it's probably about 30C in my room due to ambient temps?

str

str

Soldato
Yep the 30c ambient temp will be causing higher temps but I'm in pretty much the same boat as temps are very similar with my E2160 although it doesn't actually increase that much when I run it at 9 x 333. I don't have to increase any volts so that probably explains why it's not much hotter.

My Thermaltake Big Typhoon heatsink doesn't get hot at all in fact it's not even warm and I've checked to make sure it's making good contact with the CPU and it is so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Associate
ambient of 30 degrees? your house must be damn hot!! lol think my rooms about 20 degrees.

with stock heatsink mine was running near that at stock, but with a diff heatsink im running at around 65 full load @ 3.06 ghz - after bout 10 mins of orthos, seems stable thereafter at 65 ish... no hotter.

using a cheap thermalright cooler (old version of this)
HS-042-TR_200.jpg

Realistic temps are still hard to find with this chip i have found, as some programmes results vary by 40 degrees or more.. lol

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Thanks guys. Just curious what kind of changes did you have to make to get your e2160 to run at 3Ghz? did you bump the voltage up to 1.3 and change some memory settings? Cheers

str

str

Soldato
I'm using 4 x 1GB DDR2-667 with the 1:1 memory option so it's running at DDR2-667 when the CPU is at 9 x 333. I haven't changed any voltages yet but it hasn't been properly stress tested yet so I might end up having to do so if it doesn't pass Prime95.

Back
Top Bottom