Quite proud of myself!

Soldato
Lol, as the title.

Had a bonus on my card from Work last Wednesday, so I decided to treat myself to £200 worth of ICE, on a new Head Unit, as the OEM Mini one wasnt brilliant...

So I go and buy all my bits and peices from Halfrauds (as it was the only decent ICE shop I could use the card in... yay.) and off I trot home to fit... i'd downloaded some instructions and away I go!

Not many bits to take out, and put back in, but I was very pleased with the results:

0_IMAGE_008.jpg

0_IMAGE_010.jpg

0_IMAGE_012.jpg

Sorry about the pics :D

Caporegime
I've never seen a SONY head unit suit a dashboard.

Oh they used to, and they used to be quite good, but this was the best part of a decade ago now. They became really crap in recent years, accomodating the "OMG look @ ma phat ICE, itz got wikkid blu lites innit" crowd, but losing all audio quality and feature-set in the process.

Soldato
A standard single-din, no external input boxes jobbie, yes, less than 10 minutes.

Try fitting an Avic-X1 into an MX5 though, that takes CONSIDERABLY longer, and involves being upside down in the cabin :p

I fitted a stereo for a mate last week, was expecting a short bit of soldering because she said she didn't have an adaptor (SONY set vs standard DIN connectors).

When she took the stero to be fitted out of her boot, there were cables dangling out the back of it, the very adaptor required. She thought the wires were part of the head unit. :D

Soldato
OP
You spent £200 on a poor value HU and left the stock speakers in?

Not exactly the best purchase then.

Speakers in the Mini are decent anyway... theres nothing at all wrong with this Unit, it does everything I want it to, it sounds exactly how I want it to, and it looks how I like it to look?

Whats so wrong with that? :rolleyes:

Soldato
The standard mini ICE is rather good and is even better with the bass boost thing.

I'm going to praise you for fitting it though because I know how tricky it is to change the standard HU.

A Pioneer DEH 55BT with the orange LED display setting looks very smart in the mini. It is also a good headunit.

I have one you see:p

Caporegime
You spent £200 on a poor value HU and left the stock speakers in?

Not exactly the best purchase then.

You don't always need to change the speakers to get good results. If they are relatively decent stock speakers to begin with, 9 times out of 10, the increased quality of the internal HU amp in the aftermarket unit will help no-end. Unfortunately in this case, the "uprated" internal amp of the Sony HU is crap itself :(

Sure, if the car has crap speakers to begin with, change them.

Soldato
You don't always need to change the speakers to get good results. If they are relatively decent stock speakers to begin with, 9 times out of 10, the increased quality of the internal HU amp in the aftermarket unit will help no-end. Unfortunately in this case, the "uprated" internal amp of the Sony HU is crap itself :(

Sure, if the car has crap speakers to begin with, change them.

Not always no, but I'll bet you £100-125 on new speakers and £75-100 on an alpine HU would have sounded far better.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm going to praise you for fitting it though because I know how tricky it is to change the standard HU.

No, no its not. Its only tricky if you lack basic hand-eye co-ordination.

Speakers in the Mini are decent anyway... theres nothing at all wrong with this Unit, it does everything I want it to, it sounds exactly how I want it to, and it looks how I like it to look?

Whats so wrong with that? :rolleyes:

It only sounds "how you want it to" because you have bought it. You haven't fitted a better HU, so wouldn't know how it sounds.

If you like the looks then fair enough (I think it looks gash personally), but don't go spouting about sound quality unless you have compared many units.

Soldato
OP
.Don't go spouting about sound quality unless you have compared many units.

I said compared to the OEM, there wasnt a lot of choice in my price-range, and store range, it was either this one or a shoddy looking Pioneer HU, all the rest were crap as they were in a much lower price bracket... So I thought this one was the better choice.

Permabanned
Why didnt you just order it off the net? The same model is probably 20-50% less, halfords are a an absolute rip-off for car audio.
Also Sony are not the best car audio manufacturer. Sony's home audio is good, some of their high end hifi is fantastic, but their car audio segment is known for its low quality componenets.

Back
Top Bottom