Polishing Shoes

Guy

Guy

Associate
Hi people i'm in abit of a pickle, my going out/smart shoes are wrecked. After people treading/stamping on them, they have started to look very scruffy. I've tried to polish them before and after a couple of hours they look mint, but will crack when walked in. I want to restore them before they are beyond help.

In my polishing arsenal i have;
Kiwi Parade gloss
Jones Trad. preservation cream
Duster
Brush (medium bristles)

They are Brown leather shoes from Jones, tips have been scuffed abit and leather around the toe and tounge thing have cracked.

Anyone got any advise or links on how i can polish these bad boys back to their former glory.

Soldato
ok make sure you have cleaned then with a damp but not soaked cloth and let them dry, then on the scuffed areas and cracked areas load them with polish and leave overnight. then tomorrow take of the excess and buff as normal. its a tried and tested way of doing it for me. (dad was a regimental Sgt major, had to pass his inspections for school.)

rotters

Guy

Guy

Associate
OP
Thanks i will try that tomorrow, as tonight i just have to do a quick (hour clean or somthing) before i go out, can't be going out in my trainers.

Think i will buy some new ones and only use them for Manchester and formal occasions, so they wont get ruined like my current pair.

Associate
Use a lighter to light the wax, after a few seconds it'll start to melt so put the lid on the tin. apply molten wax with a cloth, it'll soak into the leather.

Caporegime
I always used 3 brushes, one tuff one to give it a scuff before and then a soft bristles to apply the polish and then another tuffer one to take the polish off. If you are wanting a really good shine build it up over a week or so.

And if you are wanting an even better shine, use a cloth with circular motions, to apply the polish and another cloth to buff off.

Used to be in the cadets and had to get a bull the toe on them.

The tip with the lighter is also good, i used to melt a bit and then apply to the boots with brush/cloth.

Man of Honour
burning the polish will also destory the nurishing oils and things in the polish so while it will still give a shine it wont help keep the leather in decent condition

Don
I haev has several "professional" shoe shines and they all see to do it in a similar way

clean

melt polish

apply molten polish

hair dryer

polish

2nd polish with very fine cloth

Soldato
Do NOT melt the polish, this is a BAD thing and people do it without realizing the problems. Yes melting the polish makes it easier to apply, but it also burns away some of the natural oils in the polish that are essential for a good shine/polish.

If you want to its fine to warm the polish to make it easier to apply, just dont ignite it.

Back
Top Bottom