Unable to play wmv-hd in Vista Ultimate

Soldato
Hi all, i installed a fresh copy of vista ultimate (32 bit) a few days back and now cannot seem to play any wmv-hd files in media player 11, when in xp they would play fine.

I get this message : Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Anyone hazard a guess why they dont work? If its any help they have been made with VC-1 profiles.

Soldato
I'd try installing a coded pack such as CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) and trying the wmv-hd file again. Whilst I don't really like pre-built codec packs it might let you at least watch the file you are trying to watch until you find a more solid fix.

Associate
I have the same problem with any wmv file!
It works fine with ordinary media files and used to work a couple of months ago.Now any movie saved with Win Movie maker won't open....me thinks an update has buggered this up!:confused:

Soldato
OP
I have noticed that it works when previewing in dreamscene, it seems theres just something preventing WMP11 playing it...its so annoying hope a fix is released soon

Soldato
OP
i tried fairuse4wm and no joy, cant even seem to get that to run properly too. If anybody finds any solutions, please let us know!

Soldato
OP
i can play them in power dvd with sound (although it does crackle from time to time). VLC has no sound, and media player does not play at all, even with the vista codec pack applied.

Back
Top Bottom