1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

0 dead pixels

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by thefishdude, 12 Nov 2006.

1. thefishdude

Wise Guy

do any of the tft manufacturers offer a 0 dead pixel garantee bit in em now ? last thing i want is to get my neice a new monitor and her say uncle justin why is there a green spot in middle of my horse lol.

i know some places will check for you.

2. Raikiri

Capodecina

I believe Viewsonic's warranty covers 1 stuck/dead pixel. i.e any means you can get a replacement :)

3. bikes

Wise Guy

Taken from Viewsonic

4. Baddass

Capodecina

yep, Viewsonic's VP series features this iirc

5. IT Troll

Mobster

Some, but not all, ASUS monitors have a 1-year Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) policy. This covers the monitor against any pixel or sub-pixel being permanently stuck on during the first year. Does not apply if the the pixel is dead (black) though.

6. Roughneck

Soldato

got my VX912 sent back cause it had a couple of stuck pixels

7. dale1uk

Wise Guy

If you are to buy from a place that offers dead pixel checks be sure to have it done. If you don't the chances are going to be higher of you getting a duff one, as they can still sell the monitors that have been checked and had dead pixels found providing there are less than the manufacturers maximum allowance - sometimes up to 5!

8. saintly

Gangster

stuck on subpixels are more annoying that dead pixels, btw.

9. Besty

Mobster

Phillips also have a zero dead pixel policy on some of their panels. Smaller right through to larger.....

10. thefishdude

Wise Guy

thanx for replies guys :) worries me about gettinga stuck pixel. i have one kinda stuck in alight grey not to bad. my m8 has bright green one nightmare.

soo what you reckon chances of gettinga dead pixel are ?? im soo worried about this cause its for someone else who knows nout about pcs soo to them a dead pixel is a fault and they wont accept it. but as it stands you cant do nothing about dead pixels unless you certain ones as mentioned above.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2006
  11. Amp34

Caporegime

I would say resonably high tbh. But depending on the size of the moniter it may be completly unnoticeable. My 20" has a dead pixel somewhere in the top rightish corner but unless I really look for it I can't see it. Each individual pixel is so small it really is hard to see them.

12. LanceCrossfire

Hitman

i have a viewsonic vx2235wm with a pixel that will go blue when put up againt very dark to black colours... ive had it around about a month... where do i stand?

13. Hades

Caporegime

Asus also have a zero bright pixel guarantee.

14. dale1uk

Wise Guy

Well there is always the distance selling act, if you do buy a new screen and it has dead pixels then you could always send it back within the first 14 days as long as everything is still 'as new' and they will refund you minus the postage costs ;)

Unfortunatly there is nothing you can do. Not sure on Viewsonics terms, but alot of manufacturers wont do anything till there are 3-5 dead pixels, and only then will they replace it.

15. Yucca

Wise Guy

If you open the box and use it, which you would have to do to find out if its got dead pixels then it would not be as new anymore and would not be accepted back under the long distance selling act.

16. fish99

Soldato

Not true according to trading standards and the actual text of the legislation which I've read. The only items you can't open is sealed software/music/films, items that can be pirated.

17. nivlo

Gangster

Optronix have a zero dead pixel

18. Macro

Soldato

the key phrase in the distance selling regulations is

The regulations give consumers an unconditional right to cancel an order. This is to allow the consumer the opportunity to examine the goods or consider the nature of a service.

Checking for dead pixels would, I suggest, be covered by that.

It also says

Where a contract is cancelled, the consumer must ensure that reasonable care is taken of any goods received and 'restore' them to you. This does not mean that they have to return them - unless you stipulate this in the contract - only that they make them available for you to collect.

Link to OFT if you're interested