011D Mini, ATX build with cobbled in ATX PSU, DIY vertical GPU, and configurable loop.

D4N

D4N

Associate
Thought I’d show my upcoming build using a Lian Li 011D mini.

I wanted to use this case when I upgraded my system back around April, but had to buy something different at the time seeing as the 011D mini hadn’t released back then. I had come from using a meshify mini, but when I upgraded, I changed from using a micro atx motherboard, to full size atx as there didn’t seem to be many Z490 m-atx boards about when it released. Even earlier in the year, I planned to upgrade my psu when I upgraded my system, as I was using a sfx-l be quiet 600w unit that I had in a case before the meshify, with my old 6700k and 2080 combo, and I wanted to get something with a bit more in reserve, so got a be quiet straight power 11 850w platinum supply when it released.

All of that leaves me with a full sized ATX motherboard and PSU to somehow try and shoehorn into a case it shouldn’t fit into.

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
My initial thoughts about the psu after seeing videos and pictures of the case was to either:
1 - fit it underneath the gpu, in the more traditional position and make a shroud
2 - cut the back panel to make clearance
3 - make it fit in place of the side radiator position

After buying the case and looking at it, the psu was too tall to fit underneath the gpu, as I want to get the vertical mount when it releases, and it was going to be a bit janky hanging out of the side, so I have set about modifying the radiator mounting area to accept a full size tax psu.

I could use the 600w sfx-l psu I’ve got, but where would the fun in that be!

I’m either going to end up with a unique case, or a pile of scrap. It’s not going to be a quick build, as I’m waiting on bits to arrive from all over, and getting time to chop it about

First step was to strip the case and remove the motherboard tray, which left me with this

Now I’ve got to take the psu out of my system to see where it needs cutting.

Soldato
you could mount PSU to the mobo tray were the two side fans would go. cables facing downwards , heat exhaust face the top and assisted by the top fans . The grill/fan holes might line up to the rad/fan slots on the tray??

if not you could go like Jonsbo umx4 with the psu mounted there but on its side to PSU fan either facing the front or back of the case.

https://www.jonsbo.com/en/products/umx4black.html

7ElItCb.jpg

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
I’ve managed to cut the radiator mounting area out, and folded the edge back so it’s still rigid, and drilled some holes in the bottom to fix in the psu, and this is what I’ve got now. It’s just placed together at the moment. Got the power supply on some stand offs at the minute. I’m waiting on an angled IEC extension lead to arrive from China before I know how long they need to be. Or it’s cut a hole in the bottom and flush mount it and have the wire running under the case. I’m not sure which way I’ll go yet. Then I’ll have to make some shrouding to cover the cables while leaving enough room to fit the 24 pin and pice cables through.

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
That looks good. Out of curiosity, if it were to lie flat in that same corner, how much would it eat into the case along the bottom?
I’ll have a look when I do a bit more to it tomorrow.
Cut out some more today, and painted the raw edges, and it’s still a bit tacky at the minute. I should be riveting the motherboard tray back next.

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
Ha
That looks good. Out of curiosity, if it were to lie flat in that same corner, how much would it eat into the case along the bottom?

I’ve riveted the tray back in this morning and had a quick measure for you. With the psu as in the picture, but lay down flat on the bottom it gives you approx 250mm to the back of the case, and if you measure to where the fan/radiator mount would have been is 220mm, so clearance there will depend on the length of your psu.

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
This is where I’m up to now. I’ve cut a hole in the bottom so I can easily get to the power switch on the psu, and it lets it exhaust air out of the case. I’m using some motherboard standoffs in the psu to raise it enough so the power extension lead can run inside the case, and I’ll eventually make a plate to mount it where the psu was supposed to go.
Now I know where the psu is going to be, I mocked up a shroud to hide the wires out of cardboard that I will make out of steel and paint.

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
Yeah, got a press at work. I did consider aluminium and brushing it to match the front panel, but I’ll probably use 1.5 or 1.2 mild steel and paint it. The weight will be hardly anything for something that big. The angled bit will need welding in and grinding to match the bends on the rest of the shroud, and it’s easier in mild steel to get a tidy little weld. And I can weld some studs on the back to attach it in steel, I haven’t got access to any ally weld studs.

Associate
Oh nice, I only suggested ali to make it easier if you didn't have access to a brake . If you've access to a proper workshop what's the plan paintwise: rattlecan or 2-pack? ...or do you have a powdercoat/oven at work? :D

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
I used a can of plastikote white to touch up where I have cut it, but it’s got a bit of a yellow tinge to it, so I’m going to try and get something that’s a better match. I have got a mixed pot of white that I used on another project I might try, but I’ll have to get a spray gun out to use that.

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
Done a bit more to it. I had to trim the one foot a bit to clear the power lead and give a bit more access to the switch, so I used some Sugru to fill it back in where I had cut it back.

I have got the shroud roughly done and test fitted so I can mark where it needs fixings putting.

I’m probably going to leave the Lian Li badge in the front part of the case rather than hidden away in the back on the 2.5” mount.

There should be enough room behind it to fit the cables in I hope!

It should soon be ready to get painted.

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
Managed to buy what must have been the last Noctua NF-A12x25 on Earth from Germany and actually have it delivered, unlike the other bits that have been stuck there for the last 2 weeks “due to a Brexit related disruption” according to UPS.

Soldato
Managed to buy what must have been the last Noctua NF-A12x25 on Earth from Germany and actually have it delivered, unlike the other bits that have been stuck there for the last 2 weeks “due to a Brexit related disruption” according to UPS.

yep, all major shipments from China bound for UK heads to EU Warehouses. Most are in NL for AIB partners etc

and wait for it... Chinese holiday soon, 2 weeks of NOTHING :(

Soldato
d265w9ertk561.jpg

D4N

D4N

Associate
OP
d265w9ertk561.jpg

That does look smart. I’ve got a 360mm stuck in the post I’m planning on putting in the bottom at the minute. When it eventually arrives I’ll have a play and see what possibilities there are.

Back
Top Bottom