1.0 98 Punto Q

Soldato
WalkeruK said:
im not buying a bloody mondeo

Can you give me a good reason not to? :p

Unless of couse you don't want a saloon sized car, then fair enough. I would be taking a look at your Fiesta 1.25s, Saxos, Pug106es if that is the case. :)

Last edited:
Associate
WalkeruK said:
im 6ft 2 i wont fit in a 106 lol
Being 6ft 3 my self and fitting in a 106 without any problems ... have you sat in one before ;) . I had a fiesta as my first car and parents had a 106 both of those cars i fitted into without any problems .. well as long as the seat was all the way back. But to be fair i dont think there is really that much difference in size with a punto in mind. The best thing i can advise www.parkers.co.uk there a great site with loads of information and reviews on every car.

Soldato
I'm 6ft 5' and sat in a friends 106 and it was a little cramped and the pedals were stupidly close together.

Tbh, I'd get a nice tidy 3dr Clio 1.4RT for the money and pocket the change.

Economical, comfortable, stylish, cheap to tax, insure and maintain, nippy around town and capable of a steady 100Mph if need be.

Also, depending on year it has electric windows, power steering, remote central locking, alarm, electric mirrors, electric sunroof.

Also the 1.4 engine it uses is bombproof.

Case closed.

Associate
My first car was my Dad's 1.9D Citreon ZX.

I was after a 306TD or the like but he found me a bargin punto, 1.2i.

Its nippy enough cos it weighs nothing, and its not exactly thirsty, insurance is pretty good too.

Soldato
Sticking to small, cheap to insure and run cars for new drivers I thought I'd pimp...the Nissan Micra.

You should be able to get a 1997/1998 1.0 one, for around £750 with relatively low mileage.

They look fugly but as long as they have been serviced they are really reliable. They do 40mpg+ regardless of if you are thrashing them or driving them normally (for the sceptics yes thrashing a Micra can make it go *slightly* faster).

Easy cars to drive, cheap as chips to insure, cheap to run (fuel and servicing wise), loads of parts in circulation so if you needed anything replacing it shouldn't cost the earth.

Soldato
1996 FORD FIESTA 1.25 Ghia 16V 5dr Hatchback,
(N reg) 1 lady owner from new, 57,000 miles only, Full service history, 12 months MOT test, sunroof, 5 doors, exellent condition throughout.Dark green metalic, first to see this car will buy it. £1,195. ONO
Telephone: 07977 004249 or 0161 7984557

An ideal first car and much better than the one in the OP.

Having said that, my first car was a 2.0 Mondeo Ghia X. lol. £900 well spent!

Soldato
Tesla said:
An ideal first car and much better than the one in the OP.

Having said that, my first car was a 2.0 Mondeo Ghia X. lol. £900 well spent!

I can't believe you got your mondeo for £900, it was bargaintastic. :)

Soldato
OP
im not driving a mondeo/micra/old clio sorry i want to look half decent and not like a mug , yes i do care about every aspect of my appearance im going to look into a 106 306 or low litre golf.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
For that money i'd be looking into mk3 golf's, they are not amazing cars to drive by any stratch of imagination but then again nothing at this end of the market is.

The reason to get one would be that they are so damn easy to sell on, you will have no hassle getting back what you paid for it as long as you havent done mega miles in it and have kept it in good condition. This for me would be the most important bit because you are not going to want to keep anything that's insurable at the moment for very long as insurance will open up to you as your NCB comes.

Soldato
WalkeruK said:
im not driving a mondeo/micra/old clio sorry i want to look half decent and not like a mug , yes i do care about every aspect of my appearance im going to look into a 106 306 or low litre golf.
You WILL look a mug in a 106 as you're 6ft 2.

My Mondeo was good for £900. It had no tax though so that was £170 but still a bargain at £1000. It's not unique though, I have seen quite a few Ghia X on P/R plates for £1000tops.

My current car, a Mondeo Ghia Estate is fantastic. The boot is huge, that's what I needed the most because of my work. OK it's not as loaded as the Ghia X I had but the only thing I miss is the Cruise Control.

The leather was nice but not any nicer than the velour I have now, the Velour doesnt get hot in the summer or freezing in the winter too!

Oh, it was just £850 with 5months tax and 11months MOT. The interior is immaculate. Come check it out at the RR :)

Man of Honour
WalkeruK said:
im not buying a bloody mondeo

Good decision, a crappy VW Polo with an asthmatic 1 litre engine and windup windows would be a superior car in every way.

Plus people will think 'Wow, he has a Polo' whereas if you had a Mondeo they'd all think you were a moron!

Well, I guess it must be true?

You care about your appearance so you'd be seen in a 1 litre Polo, aahahahah thats the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Good decision, a crappy VW Polo with an asthmatic 1 litre engine and windup windows would be a superior car in every way.

Plus people will think 'Wow, he has a Polo' whereas if you had a Mondeo they'd all think you were a moron!

Well, I guess it must be true?

You care about your appearance so you'd be seen in a 1 litre Polo, aahahahah thats the funniest thing I've heard all day.

I think he need to have a look at DezUKs Mondeo so he knows what they can look like :)

Soldato
WalkeruK said:

Lol, you don't want to look a mug but are going to cramp yourself in a 106?

Who will look the mug standing next to their underpowered crap Punto then?

Get a pushbike tbh.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Pfft you saying mine isnt an example of what they can look like? :p

It's cooler than any Polo :p

I like the ST24s when you see them you kind of go "ooo whats that" then realise its a mondeo and the effect kind of wears off. :p

Back
Top Bottom