1.0 98 Punto Q

Man of Honour
I guess it depends what sort of 'image' you have.

If you want people to be impressed when you simply tell them what car you have, a Mondeo is not for you. 'Yes, a Mondeo' impressed nobody. But then to be honest neither would 'A Polo'.

Yet if you want people to think 'Hey, smart car' when you give em a lift or they see it, well mine does the job quite well - I get loads of favuorable comments around Uni with it and not simply becuase they feel obliged as they could merely say nothing - I'm sure I'd not get the same thing with a crappy Polo 1.0 with cramped back seats and manually operated windows.

To non-car people, it's just a reasonable nice looking car with a nice leather interior - they neither know nor care about the rep-image of the Mondeo, and to car people, well they wouldnt be impressed by a 1.0 Polo either.

Soldato
I don't think you will get more car for your money, maybe a Xantia diesel but I doubt it. Mine is probably worth about £200 in its current cosmetic condition but I can imagine equivilent VW and others being worth about a grand.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
I guess it depends what sort of 'image' you have.

If you want people to be impressed when you simply tell them what car you have, a Mondeo is not for you. 'Yes, a Mondeo' impressed nobody. But then to be honest neither would 'A Polo'.

Yet if you want people to think 'Hey, smart car' when you give em a lift or they see it, well mine does the job quite well - I get loads of favuorable comments around Uni with it and not simply becuase they feel obliged as they could merely say nothing - I'm sure I'd not get the same thing with a crappy Polo 1.0 with cramped back seats and manually operated windows.

To non-car people, it's just a reasonable nice looking car with a nice leather interior - they neither know nor care about the rep-image of the Mondeo, and to car people, well they wouldnt be impressed by a 1.0 Polo either.

All it takes to get peoples attension is to look after it well and make it really clean and shinny :)
Thnat does wonders for a cars image.

And if you want to die when you crash go buy a polo. You will get an engine sitting on your lap

Associate
Jez said:
For that money i'd be looking into mk3 golf's, they are not amazing cars to drive by any stratch of imagination but then again nothing at this end of the market is.

The reason to get one would be that they are so damn easy to sell on, you will have no hassle getting back what you paid for it as long as you havent done mega miles in it and have kept it in good condition. This for me would be the most important bit because you are not going to want to keep anything that's insurable at the moment for very long as insurance will open up to you as your NCB comes.

I have to agree, but having said that, I do own one! I plan to sell it after having it for 2 or so years and move on to something else. Its reliable, comfortable and although it doesn't have A/C or leather interior, it does have electric windows, electric mirrors, electric sunroof, alloys, cd player, pas, abs, 2 airbags and central locking.

Far better imo than a Polo and after looking hard I managed to get myself a 97 on a P SE spec 1.6. Just remember if your going to look at the Mk3 that you need to look hard to find a good deal, most are over priced in comparison to other brands, so for the same money you could get a better car.

They are easy to sell on, but unless you get a bargain, you won't be doing any better than if you bought another car, as the initial outlay is high. Ive only had two problems since having my Golf, both of which are light bulbs going out! 2 minute job and less than £10 in parts. Just thought i'd mention it though...

Stay the hell away from a Punto, and the mondeo suggestion isn't a bad one :p . If you want cheap motoring for a while with a pretty fun car, why not try a Mk2 Golf. Inexpensive now, lots of parts around and a good first car you can keep for a year and then flog it when you want to move up the ladder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom