1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 usb into 2 computers?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by joemorris86, 4 Mar 2006.

1. joemorris86

Banned

Is this possible, I have an external hard drive, a laptop and a pc. Is there anything i can buy which allows me to have the HD plugged into both my laptop and pc at the same time?

2. Six6siX

Mobster

Possibly a USB switch?

One of those things commonly used for non-LAN printers shared between several PC's. You can get manual switch ones and automatic ones (but I think they are quite expensive).

3. Otacon

Capodecina

And probably quite unsuitable for disk I/O. I don't think you can do what you want (how you want it) - best bet would be networking the two and sharing it from one machine

4. Six6siX

Mobster

Not saying that you're wrong, but why would it be unsuitable for disk I/O? Just curious... :)

5. BigDom

Wise Guy

Both PC's trying to access the same data at the same time or write data to the same part of the disk would be the main problems. In a networked environemtn the server software would handle it.

6. chaparral

Capodecina

This is what i use..

[​IMG]

You can see the manual switch on the top for switching the four USB ports between two pc's.