10 Gbps

Soldato
I currently have an FTTP service offering 1 Gbps down and up. Last couple of days I’ve been looking at what I’d have to change at my end to get a 10 Gbps service if my ISP ever offered it.

So I’d need a 10 gigabit network card, some CAT 6 cable then I’d need a gateway supporting 10 Gbps over WAN and a new ONT supporting 10 Gbps as my current Genexis ONT maxes out at 1 Gbps.

I found this gateway which seems to fit the bill..
https://dktcomega.com/product/10g-gateways/

I’m sure there’s an ONT out there supporting 10 Gbps. At the moment it’s all pie in the sky anyway as I don’t think my ISP has any plans to roll out 10 Gbps.

It was interesting looking into it anyway and I learned my ONT is only capable of 1 Gbps and found a next generation gateway that would support 10 Gbps.

Soldato
I currently have an FTTP service offering 1 Gbps down and up. Last couple of days I’ve been looking at what I’d have to change at my end to get a 10 Gbps service if my ISP ever offered it.

So I’d need a 10 gigabit network card, some CAT 6 cable then I’d need a gateway supporting 10 Gbps over WAN and a new ONT supporting 10 Gbps as my current Genexis ONT maxes out at 1 Gbps.

I found this gateway which seems to fit the bill..

I’m sure there’s an ONT out there supporting 10 Gbps. At the moment it’s all pie in the sky anyway as I don’t think my ISP has any plans to roll out 10 Gbps.

It was interesting looking into it anyway and I learned my ONT is only capable of 1 Gbps and found a next generation gateway that would support 10 Gbps.

It's one thing upgrading your internal network but I wouldn't go updating your router, it could be a huge waste of money or you couldn't actually test it's functionality.

Bigger issue is your not likely to see past 1Gbp. At what's point would you need more than that?

Soldato
OP
It's one thing upgrading your internal network but I wouldn't go updating your router, it could be a huge waste of money or you couldn't actually test it's functionality.

I have no plans to update my router, I was just seeing what’s available if 10 Gbps ever became an option.

Caporegime
XG-PON or XGS-PON won't be a commercial product any time soon, 1Gbps GPON is just being rolled out as a FTTC/ADSL broadband replacement. I'm working at a company doing a London wide GPON rollout and 10gbps isn't really being considered.

As Caged says, the ONT will be provided by the supplier as they will have to activate it on the OLT, so it would be impossible to future proof yourself now as they might offer 10Gbps copper or fibre out the back of the ONT.

Soldato
It’s only in the last 12 or so months that 10Gb has stopped being hot/noisy ex enterprise stuff. Even now if you want to scale 10Gb it’s not just the network side that needs consideration, a switch will set you back £150? for something small and SFP (Mikrotik) and £300ish for something slightly bigger with RJ45 support, you need a decent CPU/NVMe on both ends for sustained IO and protocols make a big difference, if going SFP+, it’s often not massively different to look at used 40Gb kit, but remember enterprise usually has licence issues when used. I’ve cross flashed my fair share of switches and run into more licence issues than I wanted to in the process, most can be worked around, but it’s not usually plug and play. My advice would be it’s still too early to jump onboard unless you have very specific needs, most times LAG or adding specific boxes in a P2P set-up with cheap SFP+ cards and an interconnect works out a better solution at present, also switching in software is highly inefficient, so for small LAN’s you are looking at the likes of the Mikrotik units.

Soldato
OP
I’m not bothered about having a 10 Gbps LAN all I want is a 10 Gbps WAN. The gateway I linked to above has 1 x 10 Gbps LAN port. I wouldn’t mind plugging my games PC with a 10 Gbps network card into it over CAT 6 Ethernet giving me 10 Gbps over the 10 Gbps WAN port out to the Internet.

My games PC has an M2 NVme SSD drive in it. Don’t need anything else connected, if I need WiFi I’d hang an access point off one of the gateways 2 x 1 Gbps LAN ports.

Anyway 10 Gbps Fibre Broadband isn’t available yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t really understand what benefit you’d get. Don’t confuse speed of transfer with bandwidth.

Imagine I want to pour 1 litre of water down a drain 100m away. I buy a box of drinking straws and a funnel and tape all the straws together so they form a pipe 100m long but only 0.5cm side. It takes AGES to pour away 1 litre of water.

So I buy a hosepipe 13mm wide and I put the same funnel on to and now it takes a while to pour away 1 litre of water but it is much quicker.

So I buy a 125mm drain pipe and now I don’t even need the funnel. The water drains away faster than I can pour it in.

But I’m a man, so I buy a 1m wide drainpipe but the water doesn’t run away any faster than with the 125mm drain pipe. Because although my pipe capacity is much bigger, I don’t actually NEED that capacity.

Unless you’re transferring something bigger than 1Gbits in size you won’t see much of a speed improvement With 10GbE over 1GbE. Yes, you can make multiple streams but ultimately you still don’t see much of an improvement. And don’t forget that just because you’ve got a 10GbE pipe the other end actually controls your speed. If they have a 10GbE connection and 1000 connected users you’re not going to get 10Gbps from the other end.

Personally, I’d be extremely pleased with a 1Gbps connection

Soldato
OP
Are you in one of those countries?

No I’m in Jersey, we have 1 Gbps available across the whole island. I don’t subscribe to 1 Gbps but whilst we have coronavirus the ISPs here giving everyone 1 Gbps because more people working from home.

When this is over our speeds will go back to 500 mbit/s down 50 mbit/s up. I won’t upgrade to 1 Gbps as I’m happy with 500 mbit/s for £ 42.90 a month including landline rental.

If 10 Gbps was available it would be extremely expensive and I doubt I’d subscribe to it but it might push down the price of 1 Gbps

Soldato
OP
If you look at what you posted, you indicated that you thought it would improve your gaming experience. And it won't. We have 2Gbps in the office in Salford Quays and we only max it out when doing the offsite backup. Other than that it sits at about 5-10% capacity for most of the time.

I never said it would improve my gaming experience you’re putting words into my mouth, I only mentioned my games pc as if I had a laptop it wouldn’t support 10 Gbps with the built in network chipset. With my games PC I could plug in a 10 Gbps PCI-e card.

Permabanned
No I’m in Jersey, we have 1 Gbps available across the whole island. I don’t subscribe to 1 Gbps but whilst we have coronavirus the ISPs here giving everyone 1 Gbps because more people working from home.

When this is over our speeds will go back to 500 mbit/s down 50 mbit/s up. I won’t upgrade to 1 Gbps as I’m happy with 500 mbit/s for £ 42.90 a month including landline rental.

If 10 Gbps was available it would be extremely expensive and I doubt I’d subscribe to it but it might push down the price of 1 Gbps

Right so you can't get 10 Gbps and probably won't for a while so looking for new equipment is pointless. You won't benefit any more than what you have now.

Back
Top Bottom