10 Gbps

Soldato
You can plug the 10GbE WAN into the 10GbE port on any of them. There isn't anything particularly special about a WAN port.

What you mean, I think, is they only have a single 10GbE interface. Which is true.

Soldato
OP
Says in the specification of the ASUS router that it supports up to 2.5 Gbps not 10 Gbps. The 2.5 Gbps is for internet connections greater than 1 Gbps.

Soldato
OP
Then i'm sure you're right. If you plug the internet into the 10Gbps LAN port it just won't route it...

The DKT Comega 10 Gbps Gateway I linked to earlier...

https://dktcomega.com/product/10g-gateways/

Says it supports 10 Gbps Internet WAN connection and it also has a 10 Gbps LAN port. While it may not be consumer oriented with its lack of WiFi it would support a 10 Gbps Internet connection from what I can see.

Associate
The DKT Comega 10 Gbps Gateway I linked to earlier...

https://dktcomega.com/product/10g-gateways/

Says it supports 10 Gbps Internet WAN connection and it also has a 10 Gbps LAN port. While it may not be consumer oriented with its lack of WiFi it would support a 10 Gbps Internet connection from what I can see.

That is an ONT (In Openreach parlance) not a router. Specifically its a XG-PON ONT (which is an amazing standard) which is probably 5+ years away from starting to be rolled out, but can be rolled out in parallel to GPON and doesn't require any equipment change except at the customers ONT, and the new equipment at the exchange. Should only take a short time for Openreach to add it to each exchange, once the tech has matured enough for it to be rolled out.

If you are serious about 10G Routers (don't its complete not needed in the UK any time soon except for a few small nets) then the Mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+ is the one. Only costs around £800 but can do 10G routing with ease, beyond that you are talking thousands.

Caporegime
I guess I just can't see the point of it all. GPON is a closed system a bit like how Virgin Media works in the UK - e.g. while technically you could supply your own cable modem/ONT, the network operator will just flat out refuse to activate it. You don't need to worry about what equipment is needed if 10Gbps Internet connections become available - it will be handled by whoever looks after the physical network when the time comes.

Soldato
OP
I know but I like to know a bit about what’s involved, to improve my own understanding. I only want to know so much before it all goes above my head.

Soldato
OP
So if I’ve got this right my ISP would have to replace my Genexis 1 Gbps ONT with one like the DKT Comega 79751 which is 10 Gbps. Then either supply me with a router that’s capable of 10 Gbps over its WAN port or buy one myself.

Thing is from what I can see at the moment there’s not many consumer grade routers out there that support 10 Gbps WAN. The best I’ve seen so far is 2.5 Gbps and that was on a £ 300 + ASUS router.

There is the Mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+ 36 core CPU but that’s commercial grade and costs £ 718.32 ex VAT.

Soldato
So if I’ve got this right my ISP would have to replace my Genexis 1 Gbps ONT with one like the DKT Comega 79751 which is 10 Gbps. Then either supply me with a router that’s capable of 10 Gbps over its WAN port or buy one myself.

Thing is from what I can see at the moment there’s not many consumer grade routers out there that support 10 Gbps WAN. The best I’ve seen so far is 2.5 Gbps and that was on a £ 300 + ASUS router.

There is the Mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+ 36 core CPU but that’s commercial grade and costs £ 718.32 ex VAT.

What difference do you think there is between the WAN port on the ASUS router and the LAN ports? Nothing. If you plug the WAN connection into the 10Gbps port it will route it quite happily.

What about the Netgear XR700 I linked to earlier? It has a 10GbE SFP+ WAN port. And from ASUS manual, there are 2 WAN capable ports, one of which 10GbBaseT, so it will do it as well. And the UniFi Dream Machine Pro has a 10GbE SFP+ WAN port.

Soldato
OP
You have to plug the WAN port of the ONT into the WAN port of the router. You can’t plug it into one of the LAN ports otherwise it won’t route. Therefore both the ONT and the router need to support 10 Gbps over WAN if you want 10 Gbps.

Last edited:
Soldato
You have to plug the WAN port of the ONT into the WAN port of the router. You can’t plug it into one of the LAN ports otherwise it won’t route. Therefore both the ONT and the router need to support 10 Gbps over WAN if you want 10 Gbps.

So how does it route traffic from any of the other ports? I think you might want to do a little bit of research into routing and switching.

Associate
I don't know anything about this particular Asus router, but in general the firmware has to allow you to designate an individual port as a WAN port.

WAN ports are by definition on a different subnet (usually with their own dhcp client) to allow the router to *route* from LAN to WAN. If you just plug your modem into a designated LAN port, the internal switch will expect it to be on the same subnet as every other device on a LAN port. No routing will occur.

Back
Top Bottom