10 Gbps

Soldato
OP
Correct. And that’s the only difference. So if I configure the router correctly, any port can be the WAN port.

I guess that’s what you can do on top of the range routers, my Netgear R6800 has a dedicated WAN port that you plug into the ONT. You can’t configure one of the LAN ports to be a WAN port.

Soldato
I guess that’s what you can do on top of the range routers, my Netgear R6800 has a dedicated WAN port that you plug into the ONT. You can’t configure one of the LAN ports to be a WAN port.

Can’t you just do a port forward so that LAN port 1 goes straight to the WAN port?

Seriously, I reckon a couple of hours reading up on the OSI model, layers, subnetting, IPv4 and IPv6 will open up a whole new range of possibilities for you.

Soldato
You never said you were configuring one of the LAN ports as a WAN port that’s where I became confused.

Again, typing is a very poor way to communicate. It’s so easy to miss vital intentions. If I caused any confusion, I apologise. I’m not trying to be smart or anything, I just want to have an informed discussion about this stuff. Which I believe you do too?

Caporegime
The Netgear XR700 seems to allow you to use the 10Gbps SFP+ port for it's internet connection so that seems like the winner so far. From what I can see the Asus doesn't have 10Gbps ports LAN or WAN unless I'm missing something.

I wouldn't always automatically assume that you can use LAN ports as WAN ports, as often they just act as a layer 2 switch rather then being able to route internet traffic out of them. Unless there's specific instructions in the manual, just treat them as layer 2 switch ports. This catches a lot of people out.

Can’t you just do a port forward so that LAN port 1 goes straight to the WAN port?

Port forwarding is forwarding UDP and TCP ports, don't you mean bridging or drop in mode?

Caporegime
You can get a great understanding of what's actually happening in a router by looking at their block diagrams. If we look at the MikroTik RB4011 for example, we can see how the 10Gbps port is integrated:

KszB3oC.png

So it's clear that if you were to connect to a 10Gbps Internet connection using the SFP+ port, that you could download at a maximum speed of 5Gbps from six clients that would have to be spread across the two switch groups. This is ignoring any constraints imposed by the CPU, what routing services you enable etc.

If you find one of the 'gaming' routers with a 10Gbps WAN port then you can often find out what SoC they use, which will reveal any hardware limitations of the device.

Caporegime
That's a good diagram and helps you understand whats going on inside the router. Switching is done on hardware using CAM tables, and then routing is software/CPU dependant.

Caporegime
Yes, you get the impression that the RB4011 would have been better suited to a 2.5GbE uplink port if the mGig/whatever it's called now standard had existed or been more common when it was designed - it's clearly not a router for a 10Gbps Internet connection, but simply something for those connections which might be 2Gbps but delivered on a 10Gbps interface.

Caporegime
The only use case I can think of for something like that is a shared office space carving up a 10Gbps connection for tenants, I don't think it's taken off as people upgrading from fast/gig ethernet might as well just go to 10Gbps and futureproof rather than something in the middle.

Soldato
and they work closely with French ISPs that have had speeds faster than GB for years.

Really? Everywhere I’ve been in France the locally available internet has been truly shocking. 4G can be excellent but the landline infrastructure isn’t great at all. In the big cities they won’t let anyone dig up the roads and in the countryside there isn’t any demand apparently.

But your experience may be different.

Soldato
Really? Everywhere I’ve been in France the locally available internet has been truly shocking. 4G can be excellent but the landline infrastructure isn’t great at all. In the big cities they won’t let anyone dig up the roads and in the countryside there isn’t any demand apparently.

But your experience may be different.

From what I see, internet connectivity in France is pretty backward. I see French clients connecting to our cloud backup service pushing up at about 10Mbps tops but generally at < 2Mbps.

Back
Top Bottom