100 years of the RAF

Caporegime
Well, it was actually on April 1st but I guess a couple of months late won't harm anyone. The RAF are doing a 100 aircraft flyover in London, the details of which can all be seen here. Anyone making a point of watching? I probably will provided I'm not dragged in to anything unexpected. Should be quite the celebration :)

Soldato
Saw a bit about it in the last couple of weeks on the BBC breakfast news. The folk being interviewed were saying it's probably the most complicated flyby they've ever done to get all the different aircraft to fly over in a specific order because of all the different speeds they travel at. I think they're all taking off from about 5 different airstrips?

Soldato
Saw a bit about it in the last couple of weeks on the BBC breakfast news. The folk being interviewed were saying it's probably the most complicated flyby they've ever done to get all the different aircraft to fly over in a specific order because of all the different speeds they travel at. I think they're all taking off from about 5 different airstrips?

A lot of stuff pre-positioned, for example Typhoon down from Lossie, but yeah nevertheless :p Also @Diddums 100 days after the 100th anniversary, More chance of better weather ;)

Soldato
I saw a couple of vampires fly over on Sunday. Shame they are only doing this over London :p

Are you located in Whitby ;)

Seriously though I do regret only seeing the Vulcan once at Farnborough, my old man was in the RAF and in the 80's he was stationed at Bruggen, we used to have Phantoms and Tornados taking off and landing all day long.

Soldato
Are you located in Whitby ;)

Seriously though I do regret only seeing the Vulcan once at Farnborough, my old man was in the RAF and in the 80's he was stationed at Bruggen, we used to have Phantoms and Tornados taking off and landing all day long.

Nope I was visiting parents in North Bedfordshire :)

Only 70 years since they last shot something down.

Falklands? Probably Iraq as well :p

Soldato
Just a shame we won't see any Vulcans, one of my regrets in life is never seeing one of them fly :(

The last one flew over my head while I was cleaning my car on the drive. I nearly pooped myself and ran away :D Still makes the hairs stand on my neck when I think about it. Awesome beast!

Soldato
I hope this gets full coverage on BBC or at least on iPlayer, I really want to see this.

I hope there is never a time when there is not a spitfire still flying in this country. It is so sad that whole swathes of British jets from the 40-70s are no longer flying. I wish I had been more into planes as a kid in the 80s as so many things were still flying at airshows, but no more.

Permabanned
I saw a bunch of Chinooks fly over my house about a week ago. I'd really like to be there today, but didn't even hear about it until this morning and I have to work.

Soldato
I saw a bunch of Chinooks fly over my house about a week ago. I'd really like to be there today, but didn't even hear about it until this morning and I have to work.

Yea they look huge and shake the whole building when they are coming in to land. I work on a base and see them coming and going quite often. Apaches are the best, it's amazing how silent they can be at low level. Driving along in a Toyota pickup truck, you just wouldn't hear it coming at all :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom