100 years of the RAF

Soldato
I believe 22 Typhoons will be flying together in formation as part of the celebration. That'll rattle a few windows.

I was lucky enough to see XH558 fly a couple of times. I agree it's a pity it can no longer fly and be a part of this.

Soldato
Just a shame we won't see any Vulcans, one of my regrets in life is never seeing one of them fly :(

They used to practice manoeuvres right over my old place of work just outside York as it was stored at Doncaster airport. The noise, good lord the noise.

had the pleasure of seeing the vulcan in action during it's final 'hurrah' tour - dear god what a beast to see in the sky.......doesn't look like it should be able to fly the way it does. hugely impressive to watch. and as jimbeam says, **** me the noise!! a massive crowd stood watching it come towards us and still vitually everyone flinched or ducked when it roared past!!:eek:

Caporegime
Saw a large amount of them fly over my house last week when they were practicing from RAF Cranwell.

Seeing 6 Chinooks together was mightily impressive

Is that what that noise was! I heard them but as a local I normally just ignore it as you hear them all the time.

I am actually surprised we have 100 planes to fly together. Do they still use the Tornadoes?

Soldato
I know it's perhaps a little churlish but it's a shame that the Merlin Mk3 helicopters won't be part of the display, despite being RAF aircraft during Ops in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghan, just because they've been handed over to the Navy/RM recently and are therefore "ex-RAF".

Soldato
A pity the Seaking won't be taking part, too. They deserve some recognition for the number of folk they've pulled off the mountains with the various RAF S&R squadrons across the country.

Back
Top Bottom